Replace Yamaha receiver with Sonos amp

• 19 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I am currently running a Yamaha rx-a1050 receiver for my zone 1 surround sound with the zone 2 output connected to a Yamaha r-s201 receiver. I would like to replace the zone 2 r-s201 receiver with a sonos amp. I connected a Sonos amp temporarily to make sure it could power my zone 2 speakers and it worked great, EXCEPT when I went to “party mode” on the main rx-a1050 receiver I could not get the music to play in-sync between the 2 zones like i could with both Yamaha receivers. There was a 1 to 2 second lag. Any thoughts on how to correct this and play music in unison when I switch out zone 2 to a sonos amp?

3 replies

Thanks for your help. 

I’m looking to replace the Yamaha receiver for so I can have better control. Currently I have to physically turn on the Yamaha receiver as opposed to the Sonos amp being on through wifi. The sonos amp is also 25% the size.  

Thanks so much Danny. Yes, the 2 zones are in the same room so doesn’t sound like I can switch out the second receiver for a Sonos amp and get the same unison result.

Fyi, I’m looking to switch out the second Yamaha receiver for a Sonos amp to save space (the Yamaha receiver is 4 times the size of a Sonos amp) and for better zone 2 control…IE. While I can turn zone 2 control on/off remotely, I have to physically walk over to the second Yamaha receiver to turn it on/off.

Audio input into the Sonos amp via the RCA input is always going to be buffered.  This is required in order wirelessly sync with other Sonos speakers and devinces over a network.  You can reduce this a bit in the settings, but likely not enough to get a good sync if the two zones are in the same room.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4838?language=en_US

What’s the reason for removing your second yamaha receiver?  Asking because a Sonos Port, or Port + Amp may be better a solution for you.