Question

Question: 3rd Party App Libary ? (Android)

• 19 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Hello Everyone,

i have recently bought a few SONOS Play's and i found out that google play has the option to directly play to sonus devices.

As i am an Android developer myself, i wanted to integrate that function into my own apps (or more specifically into my Favorites Podcast Client)

I have searched google and the forums for a developer libary used to do so, but i could not find one ?

So my Question: Is there a libary to include into your own apps so that you can integrate your app with sonus ?
If not, i think that would be a great thing, as it would spread compatibility with sonus way faster than Sonus could ever integrate all Services on their own.

Thanks for an answer
vabene

EDIT: Sry for the double Question: Question in the Title, didn't know it was automatically adding that.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

There is a new API used for the Spotify Direct Control project that Sonos is rolling out at this time. Whether it is widely available is probably something to ask over at Sonos Labs in the Music Partners area. The Music Partners program is for music services who wish to integrate with Sonos. See here for details:

http://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=node/21
Thanks for the quick reply, i found that when researching and thought that this is only if you want to have sonos directly integrate your service into the sonos control, but i will give it a try and see if there is any documentation on how to include sonos in you own app.

Thanks
Thanks for the quick reply, i found that when researching and thought that this is only if you want to have sonos directly integrate your service into the sonos control, but i will give it a try and see if there is any documentation on how to include sonos in you own app.

Thanks

As I said, the new API has only been rolled out for Spotify so far; though Sonos has expressed the wish to have all services connect through their native app. Either way, joining the Music Partners is probably the first step needed. From there you can inquire about the availability of Direct Control functionality.
Ok, sad to hear that SONOS does not want Apps to integrate directly with the boxes, but i will try, thanks!
Ok, sad to hear that SONOS does not want Apps to integrate directly with the boxes, but i will try, thanks!

Wha? I think you read my response wrong. By "their native app", I meant the native app of the service itself, not Sonos' app. In truth, Sonos never stated they do not want apps to integrate directly with their boxes. Actually, it's quite the opposite:

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening

Rapid innovation is happening across native apps from all the streaming services. Sonos also announced its commitment to enable direct control experiences across its entire lineup of music service partners, including Pandora.
(Emphasis mine)
ok thanks for the clarification (and the quick answers) .. i will just keep an eye on this and maybe they will release a public libary so everyone can easily integrate SONOS into their apps, i think that would be a great thing, as not beieng able to use SONOS outside their app was one of the main reasons i hesitated really long before buying it (i know their are alternatives but nothing is as good as the native app itself).