Skip to main content

I upgraded from a two year old Netgear router to a brand new Eero six mesh router, significantly improving the Wi-Fi signal in my home. 

Unfortunately, that upgrade meant I had to spend many hours reconnecting all 21 of my devices to the new router. 

Some were very easy and some took a while. 

I was never able to reconnect the Sonos system to the new router by myself. 

It required an hour long on-hold wait on the phone and two hours with a technician that was very difficult to understand (he was knowledgeable but I could not understand his accent very well and had to ask him to repeat what he was saying many times). 

In the end my patience won out after we gave up on using the WiFi connection process and hardwired the base station directly to the router, allowing the system to finally function properly. 

At the end of our interaction, I was under the impression that I would need to leave the system connected directly to the router until a time down the road when the software would allow me to recognize my new router and re-setup the four speaker system via Wi-Fi. 

My first question for you is can you help me to figure out how long that will be? 

I don’t believe the technician had an answer to that question and for the last 2 weeks the system has been working properly, so I haven’t been very concerned about getting an answer.  

Unfortunately, I am beginning to recognize some issues that I believe are connected to having the base station hardwired into the router. It is taking a lot of the bandwidth away from other devices in my home, and, I’m getting a lot of static pop, stutter, and crackle in the speakers while watching a movie. 

I’m concerned that it might damage the speakers . 

I attempted a chat a few days ago to see if it was possible to reconnect the system via Wi-Fi, and unfortunately the chat didn’t feel like it was with a live person. In today’s world, it could’ve been an AI chatbot, but I’m not sure. In the end I left the chat because a question I had asked was answered by starting the entire conversation over from the beginning, and, I ran out of time on my dinner break while at work. 

I did attempt to implement the instructions that the chatter gave me that evening, and because I was concerned that it would take several more hours of reinstalling the speakers manually, I didn’t want to attempt to work out the problem via chat. 

I also didn’t find the CEO’s message until this evening explaining that there had been a lot of problems since May. 

My fear is that the attempt to reconnect via Wi-Fi might require me to unplug the base from the router requiring hours and hours worth of work. 

Can you pass along your best advice as to whether or not these pops are going to damage my speakers, whether or not I should just unplug the system, or if I should attempt a long telephone wait to try to reconnect the system via Wi-Fi?

I’m happy to unplug the system if it’s going to take a while and I’m happy to try to reconnect via phone support if you can tell me that there’s a good solution in place (hopefully via phone support with a person that I can understand this time😊).

I thank you for listening and look forward to hearing from you. 

I personally gave up with my Google mesh system for these same reasons. Sonos, WiFi calling, and a lot of my smart home devices just couldn't get a stable connection. I think it was caused by the automatic channel switching as far as I could fathom. I reverted back to a single router and all of these problems went away.

I'm sure that there are users who have got a mesh network to work fine but with my home (160+ smart devices, although most using ZigBee) I couldn't get it to work 

Likewise my Google Nest mesh, whilst it worked lost airplay and the Router pod had to be rebooted weekly. As for the software it was awful and doing anything was hard work.

Switched to a Plume Wi-Fi mesh, zero issues with Sonos, 9 devices all running straight off the Plume Wi-Fi and seriously I never have to do anything to the network now.

Edit… Also have Zigbee with Hime Assistant and far too much tech.