Problem with Wired and Wireless set up

• 20 September 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a 15 Zone Set up where the majority of devices are Hardwired with the Wireless turned off.
I had a Playbar also Hardwired with wireless on which was connecting wirelessly to the 2 play 1 rears and also the other
wireless devices on my network.
Problem I have been having is Network Storms that render my entire wired network useless until I remove the Playbar
from the equation meaning none of the other wireless devices work. The Wireless system is SonosNet so am trying to
change it to connect to my home wifi but when I go to
Settings, Advanced settings, Wireless setup and connect one of the remaining wireless devices to an Ethernet cable and therefore the Network the players become available but I get the following message
Alternative Setup, there is a problem configuring Sonos to work on your Wireless network. you will need a boost or a speaker permanently connected to your Router to use your Sonos system
This is with the Wireless device connected via Ethernet , any ideas how I can sort this out please ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi. You are attempting a self contradictory exercise. By definition, wireless set up involves no wired devices and uses your wifi not SonosNet. You really out to sort out why STP is failing on your network.
John, My problem is that some of the Zones are not in Wifi range (gym at bottom of garden) and other speakers (rears for surround) I do not have any access to Ethernet. STP issues seem to come and go I bought managed switches cured it for a while but now back again.
I was trying to achieve a situation where those devices that could be wired are and those that can't are on my existing wifi which they means no need for SonosNet and hopefully stops the STP issues although am no network expert I thought the issues arose when the devices are trying to connect via both Ethernet and wifi.
Hi again. OK, but 'wireless setup' is not the route to achieving that. Although such a 'mixed mode' setup is not generally recommended. Managed switches tend to cause problems with STP more often than cure them. Wiring surrounds is not generally necessary nor a good idea I understand there may be issues with the gym at the bottom of the garden, but out of normal wifi range does not usually mean out of SonosNet mesh range - are you sure you can't have a single wired device?

I assume your router isn't on Sonos' incompatible list?
I get the following message
Alternative Setup, there is a problem configuring Sonos to work on your Wireless network. you will need a boost or a speaker permanently connected to your Router to use your Sonos system

This is because one or more wired devices has a disabled radio. Re-enable the radios or power-off the relevant devices to gain access to Wireless Setup.

Forcing a mixed mode setup is awkward. I agree with John B that the STP issues should be addressed.
Hi Jon,

STP happens when you have more than one path between two endpoints, that is, usually the network killing issue is from connecting things in loops, or switches to themselves, but I think that might not happen with more modern equipment. It used to kill things really fast years back in the lab at work. :-)

Perhaps you have your Sonos using your own Wi-Fi and have the same network on the cable? On my own setup I've not gotten STP storms with the farthest play:1 being cabled, with the cabled port being on the same network as the "top" Sonos switch / Wi-Fi. But I don't use my Wi-Fi, I use SonosNet; and don't allow other things to use SonosNet. Maybe that is useful for you to try, to stop the spanning tree loops.

Chris