Answered

Problem with adding Era 100 speakers to existing system (sound echo and unable to control with TV remote)

• 27 December 2023
  • 3 replies

1. TV remote and group control issue.
  2. Limited high frequency sound reproduction. 

My Sonos system consists of a Beam (Gen 2), two One SL speakers, and a sub mini.  All are connected for sound to a Samsung LED TV (QN65 Q60 series) via HDMI e-Arc).  My internet connection is wireless.  Using the Sonos 2 App on an iPhone 12.

I just purchased a pair of Era 100s, hoping to add as additional surrounds, so I would have 4 surround speakers in total.  However, the Sonos 2 App apparently will connect the Era 100 speakers only in separate rooms. So, after going through the automatic set up routine, I now have Family Room 1 control for the Beam, One SL (LS), One SL (RS) and the sub mini. The set up routine creates Family Room 2 for one of the Era 100 speakers and Family Room 3 for the other. I cannot find a way to add the Era 100s to Family Room 1.  

I have been connected all the components to the Sonos 2 App using the group option by including Family Rooms 1, 2 and 3 in a group.  But this causes two issues:  (1) if the volume is increased on the Era 100 speakers, it results in an echo effect.  There seems to be a slight delay in the sound output to the Era 100s.  (2) My TV remote links to Family 1 only. I can not use the TV remote to control volume for Family Rooms 2 and/or 3.

Most grateful for any guidance on on how to connect/group and sync all components in to one room. Also, is the a way to connect the TV remote to all components? 

Second question relates to the ability of Sonos speakers to reproduce high frequency audio. My system does not reproduce high-end notes and sounds (like tambourine jangles, finger snaps, bells, triangle sounds, etc.).  Higher frequency sounds that play crisply and clear on my car audio system (using same streaming services) are completely missing from my home Sonos system.  Seems to be stuck in the mid-ranges, even if controls for individual speakers are set for maximum treble.  What are the frequency range capabilities of a system with Beam 2, One SL and Era 100 speakers?  Is there a way to achieve greater frequency ranges for both higher and lower frequency sounds?

Many thanks  

icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 December 2023, 18:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

You can only add two surround speakers to a Sonos home theater setup. If you group more speakers, you will experience a slight delay from the grouped speakers when playing TV audio which results in the echo effect you are describing. Streaming music will be in sync though.

Your Sonos speakers should be playing high frequency audio. I would unplug all of your speakers from power for a couple of minutes. And make sure the TV is set to these settings:

HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto

Digital Output Audio Format: Pass-Through

Stop grouping extra speakers in a home theater room.  Not only are they going to be delayed by at least 70 ms, they are going to play all channels (front left/center/right, surround left/right. and any Atmos channels) messing up the soundstage they are placed in and destroying any directional content in the surrounds.  As such, more speakers does not mean better sound.  In short, Sonos home theater setups are already complete with the sound bar, sub(s) and surrounds. 

Many thanks for the suggestions. All good info. Going to switch the Era 100s to surrounds and move the One SLs to other rooms.