Answered

Probe Request Spam

• 1 January 2017
  • 4 replies

Is it normal for these Sonos devices to send tens of thousands of probe requests per day? It is kind of flooding out my network analysis. I can just filter this traffic out, but before I do I wanted to find out if this is normal behavior. Between my three devices, over the last 1-2 hours, I have captured 14,000 probe requests. Seems kind of crazy.

I have a Sonos Play:3, Playbar and Connect. They are all connected via wifi, none of them are plugged in. Examining my network traffic, I see that they are constantly spamming probe requests to Sonos_OPSFJSLDGNSODV (I made that name up but that's the basic idea). I guess that is a mesh network that the three devices use?
icon

Best answer by ratty 1 January 2017, 22:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

That looks like an SSID for an Android to attach to SonosNet. However, in WiFi mode ('Standard Setup') the SonosNet mesh isn't active. There's no STP traffic either -- which accounts for a once-per-second exchange of data in SonosNet mode -- since STP is disabled.

What's the destination IP:port for all the traffic you're seeing?
It isn't IP traffic, but an 80211 Management Frame. It is broadcast to all MAC addresses (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff). It is the same probe request other wireless devices send to see if a network is available they have associated with in the past. For example, my phone probes for `xfinitywifi` once in a while. The question is why these three devices do it so much. It is going to be over 100,000 times today.
100,000 per day is about one every second, which sounds a bit like the STP BPDU traffic in SonosNet mode and is in no way onerous.
Ok, that sounds like it might be what it is then. If I open the advanced settings in the app, the "Connect to SonosNet" setting says "Don't Allow Connection", but that seems to be a setting for the phone and not for the Sonos devices. I will just filter those packets out of my network analysis. Thanks for clearing that up.