Question

Possible issue - no wifi Sonos One Gen 2

• 26 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi

i recently connected my first Sonos device (Beam) and am looking to add more throughout the house.

I want to add a Sonos One Gen 2 to a part of the house that does not get a wifi signal. 
From what I gather, Sonos devices can communicate if they are in range with each other.

My question is: Can I use voice control if the Sonos speaker is not connected to wifi, but has a link through other Sonos devices to the wifi.

Bonus question: My phone will not be connected to the wifi network either in this part of the house. Will I be able to control this Sonos device via bluetooth?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

No in all cases.

You’ll need WiFi coverage in the distant area for your phone. Otherwise the phone will not be able to control the SONOS system. It would be possible to extend SonosNet to the distant area by installing an additional SONOS unit (BRIDGE would be cost effective) about midway between BEAM and the ONE. Either BEAM or BOOST would need to be wired to your router.

There are relatively inexpensive WiFi relays that can extend WiFi coverage to that distant room. Ordinarily, I’m not in favor of this approach since there are many modern WiFi mesh systems that do a great job, but since you are not presently concerned by lack of WiFi coverage in that area, an inexpensive, low end approach will suffice. If you have plans to add other wireless appliances to that distant area, first class WiFi coverage is a must. Always keep costs in view. A BOOST plus a WiFi relay, is approaching the cost of a low end mesh system.