Answered

Port

I have an old but very reliable Pionner SX-750 receiver. I recently purchased a PORT hoping to listen to my vinyl LP’s etc on my Sonos speakers but have had no luck. My receiver does not have a digital out. It has a phono in, aux in, two separate tape Rec/Play. I can’t seem to find a way to send the phono in to the in of the PORT. Does anyone have any ideas or should I send the unit back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by chicks 28 March 2020, 20:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Put your turntable’s output into the Phono inputs of your Pio.  Then connect the Port In and Out to the tape monitor out/in jacks (Rec out to Port In, Port Out to Play In).  Make sure the Port is set up to autoplay in the Sonos software.  You might need to switch the “tape monitor” switch one way or the other, but it should normally be “off”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Welcom PaulLem to the sonos community

Gotta love old trusty analog recievers.

Actually you don’t need your receiver to have a digital out.

Hook the Port (In) to the Tape (REC)  outputs on the receiver.

Now you can also hook the (out) of the port to the tape in of your receiver to play Sonos music in system on the Pioneer with your other Sonos speakers.

Thank you both for your replies. It works just fine now.

Cheers,

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Put your turntable’s output into the Phono inputs of your Pio.  Then connect the Port In and Out to the tape monitor out/in jacks (Rec out to Port In, Port Out to Play In).  Make sure the Port is set up to autoplay in the Sonos software.  You might need to switch the “tape monitor” switch one way or the other, but it should normally be “off”.

Is the Port suppose to be in its own Room on the App? I have the following room locations on my App, Bedroom/Garage/Move/TV Room/TV Room2(Port). It’s in the same room as my TV Room (Sub/Playbase/2 SonosOne) but labeled separately on App as TV Room2. So when I go to Autoplay Room in my App I need to check TV Room2? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Is the Port suppose to be in its own Room on the App? I have the following room locations on my App, Bedroom/Garage/Move/TV Room/TV Room2(Port). It’s in the same room as my TV Room (Sub/Playbase/2 SonosOne) but labeled separately on App as TV Room2. So when I go to Autoplay Room in my App I need to check TV Room2? 

Again I just answered my own question. I checked the TV Room2 in Autoplay Room and spinning the vinyl and checked (grouped) the TV Room2 with TV Room and the Sonos are playing the vinyl from my record player. Actually I am able to play on both the Sonos and my stereo speakers! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I connected my cassette deck and it is now playing through my Sonos and Stereo speakers. 
Question, what does Use Autoplay Volume do when you check it in the Sonos App?

I connected my cassette deck and it is now playing through my Sonos and Stereo speakers. 

It sets the volume for when Autoplay kicks in. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

It sets the volume for when Autoplay kicks in. 

So if I turn it on it will control the volume from Port (using the app)? Can I use the EQ on Port (TV Room2)? Before when I tried the volume slider on Port it doesn’t do anything. 

The Line-In Autoplay volume simply presets the volume when a Line-In signal is detected and playback starts. Autoplay also automatically makes playback stop when silence is detected.

The volume can be controlled as usual using the slider on whichever room is the Autoplay target. The same goes for EQ.

If you were trying to play from the Port itself into some other equipment, its own volume slider would control that. If that wasn’t working, then the Line-Out on the Port wasn’t set to Variable.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

The Line-In Autoplay volume simply presets the volume when a Line-In signal is detected and playback starts. Autoplay also automatically makes playback stop when the silence is detected.

The volume can be controlled as usual using the slider on whichever room is the Autoplay target, not on the Port. The same goes for EQ.

If you were trying to play from the Port itself into some other equipment, its own volume slider would control that. If that wasn’t working, then the Line-Out on the Port wasn’t set to Variable.

Thank you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

The volume does seem lower using Port than regular streaming. Especially when playing the turntable. What I was more surprised was the ability to play on Sonos and my stereo speakers at the same time. With a very slight delay.

Adjust the Port’s Line-In Source Level.

Obviously a turntable will require a phono preamp, either integrated or separate.