Question

Poor connection after adding a boost , please help!

• 17 July 2019
  • 6 replies

I live in 65 m2 apartment.
I have recently upgraded my Wi-Fi from apple to google (3 stations) due to poor Sonos performance.
(what I experience is fallouts / gaps in the music)

First setup:
apple Wi-Fi, station i apartment,
wireless bridge to station in the basement.
2 x SONOS ONE in the apartment.
1 x Play:5 i basement.
One SONOS ONE keeps falling
out.

I learned that apple
discontinued the Wi-Fi products, so i decided to replace it all, with Google Wi-Fi.
The Google Wi-Fi did nothing god to that situation.

2 stations in the apartment,
one wired to the basement. I continued to experience poor performance, now all SONOS products had poor performance.

I then added at BOOST in the apartment, that helped a lot, both speakers in the apartment keeps playing, no fall outs.

BUT, now i have trouble in the basement, the PLAY:5 falls out a lot.

As i see it, i have 2 options.
1) add another boost, (preferable to me)
2) hardwire the basement speaker (I really don’t want to do this)

Is there a chance that one more boost will get my system up an running?

I have added my Network matrix

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi owskov

I'm in the US and basements being underground and typically where a lot of metal may pass are always a challenge to get a decent wireless signal. Even a Boost may not overcome the issue.

Regarding your Google Mesh. This requires foregoing the Boost. I would recommend 3 Google nodes. One in the basement and the main and second node above ground.

Set the main node as the only unit with DHCP capability. Turn off DHCP in the other two. Place the secondary node (located upstairs) close to an area near the basement to make the "hop" easier. Test your Sonos sans the Boost.

If you would rather purchase a second Boost you should connect it to the Play 5.

Note: Anytime you place Sonos in wired (boost) mode you are essentially by-passing your home Wi-Fi. That said adding 8 Google Mesh nodes would make no difference regarding Sonos wireless connections.

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!
Hey AjTrek1,
First of all, thanks a lot for your reply !

About DHCP:
To my understanding, DHCP can only be enabled on the main google node, am i wrong?

I already have 3 Google nodes, one of them already in the basement, and that one is wired to the main node in my apartment.

So my WiFi coverage i both the apartment at the basement is really strong +200mbps. + low responsetime.

But still I had drop outs on all SONOS products.
After adding the boost unit in my apartment, the 2 speakers there, are playing great.

Status now: only the play:5 in the basement having problems.

Actually at the moment, I have wired the Play:5 to at shared network adapter on a PC, that is connected Wireless, messy solution - but i works.

I really just want to connect another boost in the basement.
but im unsure how, I have wired connection down there, just not to the area with the Play:5

If possible, I could wire the second boost in the basement, but im not sure if the SONOS / Boost will support that setup.

It is not easy to find documentation on the BOOST setup options for more than one BOOST uni.
okay, I hope i makes sense ?

BR Ole
Userlevel 7
Hello owskov

My answers/questions are below your latest reply...

About DHCP:
To my understanding, DHCP can only be enabled on the main google node, am i wrong?

I can't answer that question as I don't use Google Mesh. I can only say that DHCP should only be allowed on the main node.

I already have 3 Google nodes, one of them already in the basement, and that one is wired to the main node in my apartment.
The idea of a Mesh system is to provide WIRELESS coverage. What do you mean that the node in the basement is WIRED to the main node? If so that really defeats the purpose of a Mesh network

Actually at the moment, I have wired the Play:5 to at shared network adapter on a PC, that is connected Wireless, messy solution - but i works.

This setup may be your issue. You've introduce a foreign component to your Google Mesh by using a network adapter which must function as some type of range extender. Sonos is not intended to be wired to an adapter only back to the made router or in your case the main node. My suggestion is to remove the adapter from your network.

but im unsure how, I have wired connection down there, just not to the area with the Play:5

Is the wired connection referring to the adapter previously mentioned? You know my answer to that. In any case what is the source of this wired connection?

If possible, I could wire the second boost in the basement, but im not sure if the SONOS / Boost will support that setup.
If you place a boost in the basement you'll have to wire it to the Play 5.

In the end your setup should be...

Option 1
  1. Google Mesh with 3 nodes (i.e. main and two satellites)
  2. Suggest spacing where you have a satellite node in the basement
  3. The main and second satellite spaced accordingly with the satellite node close to the one in the basement to facilitate a short hop.
  4. Test your sonos
Option 2
  1. Boost attached to the main node
  2. Boost attached to the Play 5
Note: When using boost mode your Google Mesh is not connecting to Sonos

Barring any plausible solution I suggest you submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this form and either call Sonos (8hrs M-F) or engage them via Twitter (24/7).

Hello owskov

My answers/questions are below your latest reply...

About DHCP:
I can't answer that question as I don't use Google Mesh. I can only say that DHCP should only be allowed on the main node.

Okay, I think any mesh environment would only have ONE DHCP server. So lets leave that for now.

I already have 3 Google nodes, one of them already in the basement, and that one is wired to the main node in my apartment.The idea of a Mesh system is to provide WIRELESS coverage. What do you mean that the node in the basement is WIRED to the main node? If so that really defeats the purpose of a Mesh network

The node in the basement are wired with a network cable to the main node, why? there wire is already there and this gives me a better connection than the WiFi Mesh. AND WiFi coverage as I need.

This setup may be your issue. You've introduce a foreign component to your Google Mesh by using a network adapter which must function as some type of range extender. Sonos is not intended to be wired to an adapter only back to the made router or in your case the main node. My suggestion is to remove the adapter from your network.

Nope, this actually makes the speaker play without faults, its a standard windows function, no hocus pocus.
BUT its not a good solution after my opinion, only temporary.

Is the wired connection referring to the adapter previously mentioned? You know my answer to that. In any case what is the source of this wired connection?

yes it is.

If possible, I could wire the second boost in the basement, but im not sure if the SONOS / Boost will support that setup.If you place a boost in the basement you'll have to wire it to the Play 5.

In the end your setup should be...

Option 1
  1. Google Mesh with 3 nodes (i.e. main and two satellites)
  2. Suggest spacing where you have a satellite node in the basement
  3. The main and second satellite spaced accordingly with the satellite node close to the one in the basement to facilitate a short hop.
  4. Test your sonos
Option 2
  1. Boost attached to the main node
  2. Boost attached to the Play 5
Note: When using boost mode your Google Mesh is not connecting to Sonos

question:
when using more than one boost, can only one be wired?

thanks
Userlevel 7
Hi owskov

It's not about hocus pocus. Sonos is most likely detecting a second network depending upon where you are located in your home.

Yes, you can wire more than one boost. In your case you would wire a boost to your main node and the second to your Play 5

Once again...Barring any plausible solution I suggest you submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this form and either call Sonos (8hrs M-F) or engage them via Twitter (24/7).

Cheers!
Hang on. Wiring the second Boost to the Play:5 doesn't help, unless they're well separated and the Boost just happens to be in a location with better reception. One could wire it to the available network connection in the basement, and it should then support the Play:5 wirelessly.

But to be frank, the problem is not simply wireless range, and under decent conditions everything should work pretty well as things stand. The primary problem is interference, with 3 out of the 4 nodes (including the Boost) being slammed with RF noise.