Planning in-ceiling system w Sonos Amp

• 25 September 2018
  • 5 replies

I am currently in the process of building a house and am planning on using 8+ Sonos Amps to power my in-ceiling and outdoor speakers.

I will also have Playbars on all of the TV's in the house.

All amps will be housed in a rack in the basement and will be powering Monitor Audio C265IDC speakers in the following "rooms"
- Kitchen (2 speakers)
- Morning Room (2 speakers)
- Library (2 speakers)
- Dining Room (2 speakers)
- Basement Bar Area (2 speakers)
- Basement Open Area (4 speakers)
- Basement Play Room (2 speakers)
- Outdoor Patio (4 speakers TBD)

Does anyone else have any similar plans?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi lajz99

There's not much to say if you are intent on powering 20 in-ceiling speakers. You will have to go with the Connect:AMP(s). You might consider; if possible, wiring 4 speakers to one Amp if they are in close proximity to each other. Although in doing so you will lose the ability to control those four as 2 x 2 in separate zones.

You might consider waiting for the new Sonos AMP to be released in February 2019 but it may have features that will never be utilized for your intended setup/use.

If some of the speakers (2 only) will be used as surrounds in conjunction with the Playbar...that is possible with the Connect AMP. You will be forced to use Boost mode.

Here's a link on how to make the most of the Connect:AMP and what you need to know regarding connections.

https://support.sonos.com/s/global-search/connect%20amp?language=en_US

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Those speakers are 6ohm speakers. You can only connect 2 of them to a Connect:Amp without some kind of impedence switch in between.

I would recommend getting a more standard 8ohm speaker. Then you can power 4 straight from a Sonos Amp and do the configuration as you show in your table.

How about the Klipsh https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714C5800C2/Klipsch-CDT-5800-C-II.html?tp=193
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
$400 each for in ceiling speakers, ouch!
A couple things to think about....

- The new Sonos amp can take input from a TV, so for rooms were you were thinking of having in-ceiling speakers and a playbar, I'd either place the in-ceiling speakers where they can act as surround sound for the playbar when using tv audio, or drop the playbar and just use the Sonos amp. If you drop the playbar, the sonos amp will need to be directly connected to the TV, so either plan for a long-lead hdmi-cable to your rack, or place the sonos amp behind the tv. I'd particularly look at the sonos amp as an option for an outdoor tv.

- I'd consider Sonos subs for some of these rooms.

- From your list, I didn't see any bedrooms, bathrooms or a living room/family room listed. I would definitely consider those as well, particularly the master suite.

- If you're plan on using any non-Sonos amps/receiviers, you can use Sonos Connects if you want them to be tied into the Sonos system.

- Sonos announced a partnership with Sonace architectural speakers when they announced the Sonos amp. It looks like Sonace will be creating in ceiling and outdoor speakers that are designed to have a similar signature to Sonos speakers, can be tuned with Sonos true play, and perhaps may be sold in discounted packages with Sonos. I don't think these speakers have been announced yet, but you may want to wait on buying speakers to leave this open as an option if you can.

- Obviously, a big part of Sonos is control. You can use phones and tablets, plus tv remotes where applicable. If voice control is something you might use, I'd look into getting echos or google mini's around the house.

- If you're planning on placing the amps in the same rack as other wireless equipment for the home, consider placing some distance between equipment to avoid any wireless interference. And of course, probably wise to wire everything that you can.
Those speakers are 6ohm speakers. You can only connect 2 of them to a Connect:Amp without some kind of impedence switch in between.

I would recommend getting a more standard 8ohm speaker. Then you can power 4 straight from a Sonos Amp and do the configuration as you show in your table.

How about the Klipsh https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714C5800C2/Klipsch-CDT-5800-C-II.html?tp=193

Thank you for calling this out, it was a detail I definitely missed. I'm actually looking at the Polk 90-RT which is 8 ohms and has a built in box. Fingers crossed they'll fit in our ceilings.

I definitely will be using Sonos playbars on all of the TV's and subs where appropriate. We are having the speakers placed to act as rear speakers where it makes sense as well, such as in the bar area.

Thank you all for the advice, still in planning stages but wiring will begin in the next couple weeks!