Answered

Outdoor TV Wiring Setup - Sonos Integration

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am trying to optimize an outdoor TV setup for simplicity but also use Sonos sound setup I have. When planning out I did run 2XCAT6 behind the TV but didn't really think through how my Sonos Audio setup is going to work so trying to figure out ARC with Samsung and the HDBase-T setup.

Outdoor:
- TV (Looking at Samsung Terrace) which has HDMIs including HDMI ARC; Also supports HDBase-T but doesn't come with a transmitter only a port on the TV
- Sonos/Sonance Outdoor Speakers connected to Sonos Amp by Pool (4 all on one Amp right now)
- 2 CAT6 runs behind TV
- No other cabling other than electricity

Indoor (Wiring Closet)
- Sonos Amp that powers 4 outdoor speakers
- DirecTV Receiver (Wired via Coax)

Question:
I want to use my Sonos speakers via the Sonos Amp for sound with the Outdoor TV - How do I make sure that I can watch TV from DirecTV Receiver or Apps on the TV and have sound go through Sonos AMP via ARC? The Sonos AMP only has one HDMI port IN for ARC (no Out) and DirecTV only has HDMI out which would need to transmit video not audio.

I looked at getting a balun so I can transmit TV over the HDMI cable as originally intended, but those come with transmitter and receiver (which is fine, but seems like a waste to not sue the built-in HDBaseT). So any advice on how to use the HDMI ARC on the TV with an HDBaseT setup that can plug into Sonos AMP (HDMI)? I'd prefer not to buy a receiver...but I suppose that would work from multiple HDMI inputs and ARC.

Thoughts:
- Maybe a balun that has both optical in/outs could convert from optical to hdmi on the transmitter side?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 20 April 2021, 14:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

I think you’re the first person to ever come back and tell us how what you did with baluns actually worked. Thank you for that!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jonasmith 

All systems go. It works like a charm with the setup I described 

Fantastic - well done! Thanks for updating too!