On The Verge Of Dumping All SONOS Product If I Can't Get Connection Issues Solved

• 22 October 2018
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge
Stanley_4 — Will they respond to diagnostics numbers and related-info there?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Question, did you try unplugging all products, then adding one, playing and test, then add another, play and test, then another, and on and on until you recreated the problem? So many ways to isolate the issues doing this. As soon as you start getting the problem back, then start unplugging the first unit you plugged in, then the second, listen for issues. You may be able to isolate the unit or two units not meshing well. Usually you can troubleshoot the problem unit/area this pretty quickly.

Borrow a friend's android device and connect to the sonos wifi directly using sonosnet. (settings advanced, enable sonosnet wifi - or something like that) Apple products do not work as well for troubleshooting issues with sonos (and in rest of life!)
CBello305, in answer to your question, yes, the people who are on the Twitter and Facebook areas have the same access to your diagnostics, as they are Sonos employees.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As said, they are staffed by Sonos tech that have access, probably about the same as the forum and e-mail support folks, but I don't have any inside info.

The only real different method from what I have seen are the phone lines, folks get redirected from here to there for a lot of issues, replacements, real-time diagnostics, assistance in music library setup, odd moises and likely other stuff I don't recall.

When I have a problem the phones are my go-to method, hold times can be bad but sometimes you can get a call-back offer that is worth taking.
After replacing a router one should shut down EVERYTHING on the network and reboot. One function of a router is similar to "take a number" when entering a building. Clients are known by that number as long as they are in the building. Unfortunately, there is no general notice sent out to the clients when a router is replaced. The current clients retain their original IP address ("number"). There is lots of potential for mischief. If the new addresses are from a different block, the original clients will be stranded. If the same block of IP address is reused, there may be duplicates. You can imagine the spats that can result -- "Mine", "Where's my order", "I didn't order that", and on and on. A device might be sleeping when the router is replaced and the network will seemingly be OK. Days later, however, this device might come online and create a duplicate. A further complication is that IP addresses are rented and must be "renewed" periodically. The renewal IP address may or may not be the same as the original. This renewal process allows the possibility that duplicate IP addresses may work out naturally on their own after a period of days. This can be a source of frustration because the system seems to heal by "magic".

The reboot essentially throws everyone out of the building and new IP addresses are given out as the clients return.

Address "reservation" in the router establishes a table of clients that have been given VIP status and they will always be assigned (exclusively) the same IP address. Of course, if the router is replaced, the reservations are lost.