New Sonos Amp and Volume Control

• 7 February 2019
  • 1 reply

I have a Sony TV which will be located in one room and I would like to use a new Sonos Amp which will reside in a closet in another room. I would like to use an optical cable instead of ARC. Can I use the HDMI to optical adapter and control the amp volume with the cable remote?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I don't think you'd be able to use the cable remote in that scenario, at least not without using an IR blaster as well. When using ARC, the TV can set the volume of the Amp through CEC controls. When using optical, you'll be using IR signals from the remote to the Amp itself, which requires line of sight. But IR blasters are not expensive, and you'll probably be able to wire one along with your optical cable.

And since you're doing some wiring between the walls, you might want to consider wiring an HDMI cable for future proofing as well. I assume your current TV doesn't have ARC, but if you ever upgrade the TV, you'll probably want to use ARC.