Question

NAS/Sonos permissions issue?

• 22 October 2020
  • 2 replies

Whilst playing about with m3u playlists, I’ve found an oddity with access to the music files.

Background - for 9 years I’ve been using the same LG NAS for sonos, running 24x7 - i.e. no spin down. Having locked down the system and cut off from the internet, it works extremely reliably.

I set up a directory outside the Sonos one, to take some of the strain from the main directory, which is indexed by Sonos. m3u8 playlists in Sonos pointing to the additional directory seem to work fine.

However, if I leave the playlist on pause for a period - e.g. overnight - then when I press play again all the files in the queue fail to play with an access denied error. If I clear the queue and set up the playlist again, it works perfectly.

The NAS is fairly basic, and I’ve been through every setting on it looking for a reason why access should time out, but can’t find one. I can understand why it would always fail, or always succeed, but this seems odd - it’s almost as if Sonos is forgetting/losing access details.

Does anyone have any ideas?

As I mentioned in another thread, this is not a huge issue, as I still have other perfectly acceptable options available, but I’m intrigued as to what I’m missing. It’s probably something glaringly obvious ;-)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Update - it appears that the delay doesn’t have to be that long - even 20 minutes or so is enough to trigger the problem.

Please ignore - no longer important as I’ve given up on the playlist idea.