Music Library Not Doing Its One Job

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Trying to play music from Library.

Song will play about five seconds - through some, not all, of the selected speakers. Then it will skip to the next and do the same. Sometimes for four songs, sometimes for five.

Then it will stop and return one of two messages:

1. Unable to find file (and provide an address that is absolutely findable on all other networked devices)
  2. WiFi connection “unstable”

I spent about a grand last October upgrading every part of my network to avoid this problem, and it has returned.

I am playing the files through a Synology NAS DiskStation, that is wired into my router.

I have a Play 3 wired into my router, and in the same room - with direct line of sight, less than twelve feet away - another Play 3 and a Connect. I have four Play 1’s scattered throughout my one bedroom, 1300 square foot apartment. WiFi “instability” is not a correct diagnosis.

Yes I have changed channels of both router and Sonos. Router is on 4, Sonos on 11. Both are mega-green-starred channels on my WiFi analyzer. (1 is not as good).

Music Library is updated. Firmware on router and NAS is updated.

I have typed this while sitting on hold with support, and it is still a 15 minute hold time and I am late for another call.

@Wits’ end.

Any suggestions, other than setting on hold for a tech?

Diagnostic 1925358464

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

It looks like a messy picture, with multiple 40MHz channels in use. ‘Ryan&David’ is only down at -60dB and could well be making life difficult for Sonos on ch 11.

Try Sonos on ch 1. If that doesn’t work put the WiFi credentials into Sonos and disconnect the Ethernet from the Play:3. It may fare better on the WiFi. Even better if it could be moved to 5GHz, away from the ill-behaved neighbours’ signals. 

See here: https://support.sonos.com/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

They also had large, loud parties during the pandemic.

I had Sonos on Ch 1 before, but will try that again...

I thought being plugged in was the gold standard? Was talked into buying a Boost a few years ago (and later talked into disconnecting it; it’s sitting idle on the shelf).

Will also take a look-see at the 5GHz picture tonight.

ETA: I have been having sporadic issues where the plugged-in Play 3 is silent, even though the controllers say it’s A-OK. Have to unpair and re-pair it to its partner, twice, to fix it. But figured I’d treat that as a separate issue once this is done and dusted.