Answered

multiple players on unifi wireless droput high bandwidth music

• 13 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’ve moved all my speakers onto my 3 ap unifi network and I general it’s ok. I was having issues when I had a boost running along side the unifi. 

what I’m seeing at the moment, is if I play high quality files from Amazon music, and group a few speakers, then some speakers in the group drop out audio and come back in. 

for example, I can see my kitchen speaker is streaming the music from the internet in my unifi console, and the other speakers must be using Sonos connection back to this speaker as they are not using a lot of WiFi bandwidth. The conservatory drops in and out audio wise. 

if I play something locally which isn’t as high quality from my nas, then it seems more stable, and even more so if I play the radio from the internet. 

im assuming there must be interference between the kitchen and the conservatory. Is there a cut of point where Sonos decides it’s going to use the WiFi instead of one speaker talking to the other directly?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 14 July 2021, 04:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Did you reconfigure your Ubiquity gear from the optimal settings back to ones that are Sonos compatible?

It has been too long since I was in your position and I don’t recall all the stuff needing changed. Without the changes my Sonos gear was also unstable. I do recall that the restricted settings were not good for the rest of my WiFi gear and performance there suffered enough I moved my Sonos off to SonosNet and reset the Ubiquity gear to optimal settings.

I initially used a Boost and gave it  clear channel by putting my APs on the other two clear channels. After a while I was pulling wire for other needs and directly wired several Sonos removing the need to use the boost.

You can probably dig the changes out of the Sonos FAQ or past posts. They apply to many other mesh setups too, not Ubiquity specific.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I haven’t really. I have quite a few WiFi devices and most recent my new ring doorbell was having connection problems. 

boost was causing me problems as it seems like too many WiFi emitting devices in my network, 

it looks like the WiFi is working ok, all seem to have great signal, but I’ll hunt down past posts and see if anything helps there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If anything putting your Sonos gear on one channel and your WiFi APs on the other two (1, 6, 11) open channels should reduce interference between them. The WiFi devices and Sonos should not impact each other as long as you keep them on non-interfering channels. A few 2.4 GHz devices don’t behave well and splatter across several channels and don’t share well, baby monitors have the worst rep.

My setup was not happy having all the APs on the same channel to keep the Sonos happy and it impacted other devices that were moving a lot of data, HD TVs in particular, they seem happier when split to two different channels and APs. I’m not sure if that is a current requirement or not, been a while since I messed with that.

A Boost should not cause any more problems than any other wired Sonos as they emit very similar signals. Adding a Boost or wiring another Sonos does move all your non-portable Sonos off the WiFi and onto SonosNet so that might be the source of your issues if you didn’t set SonosNet to an open channel.

Sonos over WiFi isn’t just about signal, you can have what looks to be a perfect setup but that can change minute to minute as the Sonos mesh re-configures to meet changing conditions. If you can get a consistent problem submitting a diagnostic to Sonos and asking for a review might tell you more than we as users can see of the Sonos internal status.

I doubt you had too many WiFi devices, unless one or more are not behaving properly they should happily (if a bit slower than the maximum rate) share. I usually run wired but I’ve fooled with WiFi mode from time to time and my 18 Sonos (2 in surround groups) seem to have no issues as long as the WiFi AP is set to meet their requirements. They are sharing with 23 other WiFi devices, most not moving a lot of data, with no issues. Now if I move my security cameras to WiFi mode the channel gets busy enough other devices are horribly slow and Sonos starts to get dropouts but that is to be expected as the channel utilization is above 80%.