Move Stereo Pair Bluetooth problem

• 8 December 2019
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

I have two Move-s in stereo pair which are working great.

I would sometimes like to use one of the speakers in bluetooth mode (connected to Iphone). When I use left speaker (from stereo pair) in bluetooth mode everything works great. However, when I try to use right speaker in bluetooth mode, it connects to Iphone, but no there is no sound.

I have tried to factory reset that speaker, and the problem persisted. I have also tried to separate stereo pair, then both speakers were working in bluetooth mode (separately of course) without a problem. I have also tried to switch left/right speakers when creating stereo pair, and then the other speaker was not working in bluetooth mode.

Does anybody have similar experience? Is it a software bug?

Many thanks for all the help!

Kind regards,

49 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Hrvoje, I just tested this out with my Android phone and a stereo pair of Moves, there wasn’t any trouble using Bluetooth to either side. Unfortunately I can’t re-create it with an iOS device at this time, but I’ll pass the note on to the team to check it out.

If you’re still having trouble, make sure you check for updates as a new one just came out, and maybe see if it’s still there on the new build.

I have the same problem. All work fine when Moves are in WLAN managed by Sonos app. Both are set to be as one room as stereo pair. When I switch them to Bluetooth mode I can see them both as separate devices and if I pair only one of them that speaker works but the other one has no sound. When pairing the other one that one doesn't work at all. Only one plays sound and no stereo sound exist.

How should the Bluetooth pairing be done from the point they are in Sonos system via WLAN to the point I have two speakers playing stereo sound via Bluetooth. Do I need to pair only one of them and if so which one?

Thanks in advanced for step by step guidance 'for dummies' 😊

I'm using Android phone... 

I just got an answer from Sonos customer service:

"The Sonos Move Cannot be stereo paired in Bluetooth mode. Our Stereo Pair method relies on the higher functionality present when the speaker is in Sonos mode, not Bluetooth mode. When in Bluetooth mode, the speaker disables a lot of unnecessary features. Sincerest apologies for any inconvenience."

So I guess that solves this issue... 

My first post - I have two Moves which I use as a a stereo pair. I sometimes use one of them in Bluetooth mode - I found that when I forgot to unpair the the stereo pair before switching one to Bluetooth, my system went crazy - several speakers (I have about a dozen) dropped in and out of my network, and software updates failed. Maybe this is something that everyone already knows, but I recommend unpairing the Moves from each other before switching either to Bluetooth mode. Since I have done that, no problem.

Userlevel 1

I had the same issue with one of my speakers not playing in Bluetooth, I realise that you cannot pair two speakers in Bluetooth mode but assumed it would play in Bluetooth mode - only one selected for this - but it didn’t!! I removed the pairing in WiFi  mode and they then play ok in Bluetooth mode. It is a real shame you cannot pair in Bluetooth mode, I have other Bluetooth speakers which I pair as this is really useful for me, I was hoping my Sonos would also have this feature - can it be added please Sonos!!! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just got an answer from Sonos customer service:

"The Sonos Move Cannot be stereo paired in Bluetooth mode. Our Stereo Pair method relies on the higher functionality present when the speaker is in Sonos mode, not Bluetooth mode. When in Bluetooth mode, the speaker disables a lot of unnecessary features. Sincerest apologies for any inconvenience."

So I guess that solves this issue... 

What other “unnecessary features” are disabled?

Userlevel 1

This is lame. I had a pair ultimate ears speakers $100/each from 5 years ago and their app would allow you to play 2 Bluetooth speakers as a stereo pair. This is could easily be done if Sonos really cared about the user experience. 

Userlevel 1

This is lame. I had a pair ultimate ears speakers $100/each from 5 years ago and their app would allow you to play 2 Bluetooth speakers as a stereo pair. This is could easily be done if Sonos really cared about the user experience. 

I totally agree with scottjbco. Old UE speakers can be in a stereo pair for many years. Get your act together Sonos and fix the software on the Move. Surely this is not a hard thing to do???

Userlevel 2
Badge

When are you going to update your Sonos Move firmware so they can stereo pair over Bluetooth?

Or is this not possible?

Please advise?

Userlevel 1

When are you going to update your Sonos Move firmware so they can stereo pair over Bluetooth?

Or is this not possible?

Please advise?

Would be nice to hear if it's planned, or not planned and not lilkely to happen.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Are Sonos committed to finding a solution for providing bluetooth stereo pairing whilst using 2 x Sonos Move's?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Are Sonos committed to finding a solution for providing bluetooth stereo pairing whilst using 2 x Sonos Move's?

We’ll never know. Sonos never give out such information. It would be a good feature otherwise I’m going to have to get a travel router to set up a WiFi network when on holiday. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Bokersjv,

I didn't know about travel routers and I'm keen to understand more. I've just been on Amazon and its full of mobile Wi-Fi routers. Would would you recommend without breaking the bank?

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Samsung Galaxy S20 Note Ultra has 5g capabilities but Talk Mobile (Vodafone) my isp is a bit slow on the uptake. My sim only deal offers 8Gb of data. Could I use that data to give me stereo wi-fi to 2 x sonos move speakers using the phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

was just going to get the cheapest Travel router that had USB slot that with the addition of a USB Memory stick could act as a NAS drive and I'd just have all the CDs I've ripped available. Max USB is 128Gb, but that’s easily enough of my collection for a 2 week holiday.

I don't need internet support just want a WiFi network for the Sonos Kit to access and play my stored music in stereo.  Just use the phone as a controller too rather than using BT and using the battery.  Also means Trueplay would work on WiFi

Set it up to match the home SSID and Password and security protocols and set up the USB drive as a Music server in the Sonos APP.  You can trial the whole set up before you leave home too.

This one for £20 would fit for me

GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) Wireless Mini Portable VPN Travel Router, Mobile Hotspot in Pocket, WiFi Repeater Bridge, Range Extender, OpenVPN Client, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073TSK26W/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_cCb0FbGT0JA78?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Userlevel 2

Sonos, another hand-raise for Bluetooth pairing, please!  I just bought two and can’t believe you can’t pair them. I have friends with JBLs that could pair 5 years ago!  This should be standard for a $800 speaker pair. 

How about using the bluetooth stereo mode using a Bluetooth receiver 5.0, which connects two device at a time.  So the receiver is receiving from the music source and simultaneously streaming to two Sonos move.  Will it be in a stereo mode or simply multiple speaker mode?

How about using the bluetooth stereo mode using a Bluetooth receiver 5.0, which connects two device at a time.  So the receiver is receiving from the music source and simultaneously streaming to two Sonos move.  Will it be in a stereo mode or simply multiple speaker mode?

Do you have a link to this device?  And don’t understand you’re last question regarding stereo mode and multiple speaker mode, as the Move has WiFi and bluetooth modes.

The fact we cannot bluetooth pair is keeping me from buying a 2nd MOVE. Bring in that option and you will have one more MOVE moved off the store shelf.

Correct the Bluetooth stereo pairing and I’ll buy a 2nd Move. (Android user)

Sonos,

As other users above have noted, its kind of ridiculous that you cannot pair 2+ Sonos Move speakers in bluetooth mode for stereo sound.  I hear that this feature is available on the new, lesser expensive Roam speaker…...why wouldn’t the Move be able to do the same thing?  $399.99 is a serious amount of money for a speaker that has less features than ones costing significantly less.  I almost feel ripped off for buying a Move.

​​​​​​​

Userlevel 7

@stemur1 Two Roams cannot be paired as a stereo pair in Bluetooth mode.

Sonos,

As other users above have noted, its kind of ridiculous that you cannot pair 2+ Sonos Move speakers in bluetooth mode for stereo sound.  I hear that this feature is available on the new, lesser expensive Roam speaker…...why wouldn’t the Move be able to do the same thing?  $399.99 is a serious amount of money for a speaker that has less features than ones costing significantly less.  I almost feel ripped off for buying a Move.

Is this a fact or assumption (based on what you've heard) that Roam supports Bluetooth Stereo? I bought one Roam to test it. Sound quality is not as in Move but surprisingly good for a such a small portable speaker. I'm happy to buy more if Bluetooth stereo is supported.

Can anyone confirm this that it works? 

Userlevel 7

@Jukkaw Two Roams cannot be paired as a stereo pair in Bluetooth mode.

Can they at least both be paired and BOTH play mono sound?  From what I read here that‘s not possible!?!  Wtf Sonos, I spent a lot of money because so far you produced decent speakers, but now this!  Incompatibility to your own other products, why?!?  The Beam & Sub3 I have are in the same room as the Moves stereo pair, but they don‘t work together.  I‘m really shocked.  Had I known I had gone Bose.  I hope this gets added soon as a software update.  What‘s the point of having 2 moves but then over Blutetooth you can only ever only use one?!?