Question

Large Sonos and Unifi network performance problems.

• 12 September 2019
  • 3 replies

I have a large home with a mix of: Play 1, Play 3, Play 5, Connect, ConnectAmps, Subs and a Soundbar across nine zones. I also have a Unifi network comprised of 7 access points, two switches, and a firewall. My logical network topology includes multiple VLANs, SSIDs, and IP subnets. It's taken a lot of work to get things rolling with IGMP proxying, tweaking firewall rules, and routing. However, I have it mostly working. My main issue now is with somewhat frequent dropouts. I live out in the country and there is practically zero competition for air time in the 802.11 space.

Sorry for the eye chart, but here's what my matrix looks like:

My questions:

1. The second row down (the first red square) is a ConnectAmp that is plugged directly into my root switch. Why is it red? The connection is hardwired.
  2. With 7 APs, my wifi coverage is ridiculously good. Is there a way that I can disable the ad hoc SonosNet network and just have everything connect via a combination of my Unifi wifi network and hardwired Ethernet?
  3. I keep getting notifications in my Unifi network console that my Sonos Connect (plugged into an Ethernet port on my remote switch) keeps creating STP loops and the switch therefore blocks the port. In the matrix, it's the bottom row. This does not seem to affect performance as far as I can tell? Does this mean the Connect is likely falling back to wi-fi? How do I stop the STP loops?
  4. Any tips on how to improve overall performance?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The first vertical column color is "local noise" so look around them for problem devices, to include stuff without a radio but poorly designed and spewing RF.

You could put Sonos on your local network as long as you are willing to switch off features incompatible with Sonos and move all APs to the same SSID pass phrase and channel. That was a non-starter for me. Going with a few wired Sonos and SonosNEt the only WiFi change I needed was "Airtime Fairness" set to off to get my Ubiquity gear and Sonos happy together.

You may be having STP issues with smart switching (which I don't have) search here (using an external search engine for best results) for STP posts that have most if not all issues solved.

Once the STP is solved and all Sonos devices show WM:0 in the controller's about screen remove the old WiFi security credentials to avoid mixed mode.

I'd wire as many Sonos devices as possible to increase the robustness of your SonosNet mesh. I also reserve the quietest local channel for SonosNet as I like to stream uncompressed FLAC audio that puts a load on the channel.

I'd also assign static/reserved IP to all Sonos devices, seems to avoid issues at power cycles and updates.
The topology has a number of obvious bad spots:
  • 'Shower' seems to be the only wired node. It has a poor noise floor. It also appears to be older wireless tech.
  • 'Basement (S)' and 'Dining Room (L)' are relay nodes supporting others further out. However they depend on very weak connections back to 'Shower' (signal strength 15). These two nodes are also beset with major local interference.
In short, wireless performance will creak. It may hold together for single room playback, but significant grouping could cause things to fall apart.

Wiring more devices could help. Also trying to clean up the RF environment around key nodes.

If wiring additional devices is impossible, dropping a couple of Boosts -- halfway between 'Shower' and each of 'Basement (S)' and 'Dining Room (L)' -- may be worthwhile.

1. The second row down (the first red square) is a ConnectAmp that is plugged directly into my root switch. Why is it red? The connection is hardwired.
  2. With 7 APs, my wifi coverage is ridiculously good. Is there a way that I can disable the ad hoc SonosNet network and just have everything connect via a combination of my Unifi wifi network and hardwired Ethernet?
  3. I keep getting notifications in my Unifi network console that my Sonos Connect (plugged into an Ethernet port on my remote switch) keeps creating STP loops and the switch therefore blocks the port. In the matrix, it's the bottom row. This does not seem to affect performance as far as I can tell? Does this mean the Connect is likely falling back to wi-fi? How do I stop the STP loops?
  4. Any tips on how to improve overall performance?

Something near the Shower unit is polluting its RF environment. Since this is the primary feed for the system, I expect that there will be issues. Unfortunately, using Shower as the only wired node is the worst possible choice. Physically moving the shower unit might help. The noise floors on the other units are fine.
Wiring more units will help.

If you wire multiple units, make sure that the Ubiquiti switches are set for STP, not RSTP.