Skip to main content
Question

Keeping Sonos seperated on seperate VLANS

• 19 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Howdy,

I would like to do the opposite of what I see many people want out of VLANs and Sonos. I would like to have multiple Sonos speakers totally separated by VLANS.

My setup:

- Two phones, two totally seperate Sonos accounts
- All of the Sonos speakers are wireless
- UniFi Express running:
    - Three VLANS (default, 2, and 3)
    - Two wifi networks mapped to their own VLAN (just 2 and just 3 respectively)
- I want there to be a totally separate Sonos experience depending on which wifi network you are on

What I have tried so far:

- The setup above with “default settings”; this meant that multicast roaming was enabled so the systems everything showed up everywhere (unwanted)
- The setup above with mDNS and Snooping turned off; this “works” in terms of the Sonos systems are indeed separate, but my Sonos speakers constantly fall off the network and cannot be found without a factory reset on the daily (unwanted)

Do folks have any suggestions for which settings to inspect / investigate?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You may need to account for one further factor: which version of the app and firmware to use? As far as I know, Sonos don’t tell us, the owner/customers, about the technical changes that are going on behind the scenes, but there is some expert speculation here:

It seems likely that there will be further changes in this area as Sonos try to get to grips with the issues we are seeing - but that’s just speculation...

Update: My system has been working and stable for about a week 😄

What did I do?

• No changes to my Unifi setup
  • Deleted and reinstalled the Sonos app a few more times
  • Danced between “join system” and “create new system”; I believe what ultimately worked was one of the times I chose “create new system”

Good luck to anyone else who is having trouble with the Sonos app