iTunes Library Manager

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
For Sonos users who wish to choose which of their iTunes playlists are transferred to Sonos or for users who wish to use lossy formats for their ipods and lossless for their Sonos system. It makes a custom XML file on the NAS with unselected playlists removed and/or references adjusted to the lossless files. If you wish to only transfer a subset of playlists the application can be configured to display a playlist selector before the custom XML file is generated. The application can be configured to run and create the custom XML file on your NAS each time iTunes is closed.

http://www.darrenlink.talktalk.net/ituneslibrarymanager

http://www.darrenlink.talktalk.net/ituneslibrarymanager/download

I have written an application that solves two main issues for Sonos and iTunes users. Many people like to use iTunes to catalog their MP3 collection for use with iPods but prefer to store lossless files (perhaps apple lossless) on their NAS for use with Sonos. The "iTunes Music Library.xml" cannot be simply placed on the NAS as all the tracks are pointing to the lower bitrate MP3 files. Also many iTunes users have too many playlists to be imported into the available Sonos memory. (Especially if lots of smart playlists covering your entire library are defined)

My application solves the above two problems by changing the paths of the MP3's (or other lossey file types) within the "iTunes Music Library.xml" to the equivalent paths of the lossless files. It also allows the user to choose which playlists they wish to be imported into their Sonos system from their iTunes library. It also eliminates the need to maintain two separate iTunes libraries (although you are still required to create lossey and lossless copies of each track)

The application caches (and maintains) a one to one mapping between each file in iTunes with the equivalent higher quality file on your NAS. This caching allows the application to run through approximately 10,000 tracks on my PC and write an alternative xml file to my NAS pointing to the lossless files within about 25 seconds.

The application is completely configurable so it can be configured to match your setup.

More information, screenshots and the download link are above.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

Badge
Thanks for the update. I will test it and post any issues I discover.

Also, if I encounter the "missing playlists" issues again, I will post any file you require to my web server.

Would be great if you can find time over your break to implement command line execution of the process feature that I requested in my previous post. Please let me know if you have any questions.

S

Missing playlists issue is back again. Please see screenshots here:

http://2101sander.dyndns.org/

Note that iTLM does not display the "Podcasts" playlist folder.

S
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Darren, I still have an interest in your iTunes Library Manager app, and I have tried to contact you by PM on this forum, email, and even Facebook... To no avail! Would welcome a PM from you if you are still an active Sonos proponent?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi Darren
Where do I get the latest version from please. The last version available on the download page is from 2010

Thanks
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I have changed webspace and the application is now available at:
http://www.darrenlink81.webspace.virginmedia.com/ituneslibrarymanager

I've personally stopped using the MP3 to Lossless mapping feature as I upgraded my iTunes library to AAC files (.m4a extension files) via iTunes match.

I now have an I:\ drive mapped to my NAS for the iTunes match files and an S:\ drive for Sonos use containing the same structure/files with Apple Lossless files where available.

I:\iTunes\Music
and
S:\iTunes\Music
are identical when comparing the filenames as AppleLossless and standard AAC files have the same extension (.m4a). (No need to map .mp3 files to Lossless .m4a files anymore)

Although iTunes (on my laptop) points to the I:\ drive the XML file can be saved to my S:\ drive (and works with Sonos) because the folder structures are identical. I have actually written another application (not posted online) to find any differences between my I:\ drive and my S:\ drive.

Darren
Badge
Darren,

Welcome back. I for one am glad to see you return. I still use iTLM to import my iTunes playlists into Sonos and anticipate that I will continue to use it until Sonos is able to import playlists natively.

Have you given any thought to implementing the GUI-less command line capability described in post #105 above?

Thx
Badge
HELP

None of the links to iTunes Library Manager seem to be working! Following a complete PC reinstall, I desperately need to download the software ASAP. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Badge
HELP

None of the links to iTunes Library Manager seem to be working! Following a complete PC reinstall, I desperately need to download the software ASAP. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

I am in the same boat! I find this app indispensable. I have a new PC and no copy of the executable file. I have copied the app, but it isn't working correctly (assume the .dll's all incorrect?)

Does anybody have a copy of the executable file please?

:?
Badge
Bump!
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Just reviewed this thread for the first time in a very long time and can see there is still some interest in my application. Unfortunately I have no web space to host it and have lost the installation package. It can be copied over manually if you are comfortable with that and creating a shortcut manually.

Does anyone have any webspace I could host this on?

Many thanks

Darren
Badge
Thanks Darren

When I copied the application it didn't work and I don't have the executable file (I'm kicking myself). I'm not that techy with file transfers but have used WeTransfer and Dropbox to send larger files.

James
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Hopefully this Dropbox link will work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2emnb0mcpky282/iTunes%20Library%20Manager.zip?dl=0