iOS app and Location setting ... but only on certain wifi

• 27 April 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello all,

I have been scratching my head for days setting up my Sonos Play:1 speaker to be accessible across VLANs on my home network.  Tonight, I seem to have stumbled on a strange fix: turning off the app’s access to Location data in the iOS settings.

My network is roughly setup like this:

• multicast VLAN + 2.4GHz wifi which contains Sonos and AppleTV
  • guest VLAN + 2.4GHz wifi
  • trusted VLAN + 5GHz wifi

With this setup I was able to control Sonos from the guest network, so I was pretty confident that my VLAN configuration was setup properly.  But, strangely I was unable to control Sonos from my trusted network.

I finally decided to configure my trusted wifi to use 2.4GHz and things worked!  This made me decide to plug my Play:1 in via ethernet.  I figured this would avoid any issues with wifi since it would be accessible on the network over the wire.

However, the problem persisted; the app would work fine on the Guest network, but it would not work on the Trusted network at 5GHz.

I found myself in the app’s settings page and decided to disable its access to what I thought it didn’t need: Location, Bluetooth, mic, and cell data.  All of a sudden the app was finding my speaker!  After a little process of elimination, Location was the setting that affected access to the speakers.  🤷🏽‍♂️  I turn on Location data, the app stops working; turn it off, speakers are there. 

Super strange.  I don’t have an explanation, but I’m glad my system seems to be working now.

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rreboto 

Welcome to the Sonos Community, and thanks for sharing your experience and helpful information!