How can guests play music on my Sonos Arc system without also gaining full control of it with the Sonos app?

• 19 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello.  My Sonos system is an Arc soundbar with two S1s for rear fill, and a sub.  The Arc soundbar is physically plugged into my LAN.  I use it to play audio when I watch movies, and otherwise just to listen to music when I’m home.

I would like guests to be able to play music through this system without being able to access all of the settings for my Sonos system -- for example, settings like changing audio compression level, pairing or un-pairing S1 speakers, fiddling with audio height and surround levels, etc.  Ideally, I would like for this to happen wirelessly.

I did a test where I deleted the Sonos app off of my phone.  Without the Sonos app on my phone, I connected my phone to the same WiFi network that my Sonos system uses.  I was able to see my Sonos system as a “speaker” to use as an AirPlay destination, which is great.  

But then when I installed the Sonos app on my phone, without even signing in to the Sonos app using my Sonos login & password, I was able to fully access all of the speaker settings and stuff.  This is not what I want.

Is it possible to allow a guest user on my WiFi network to AirPlay to my Sonos system, but to require authentication in order to access settings in the Sonos app?  If not, perhaps the solution is to provide a physical audio cable input to the Arc soundbar, where the guest can plug their device in to their headphone jack … but that is so 1980s.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If you reset the app, then start it and connect to an existing, as long as you do not login, most of the settings menu will require a login.  Once you login on that device, anyone using the app will have access until you reset it again.  

Badge

Without logging in to the Sonos app, I am still able to make the following changes to the Sonos system:

• Rename the room
  • Change bass / treble / loudness
  • Disable the surrounds and change the TV level and Music Level for them
  • Mess with the surround distance settings
  • Disable the sub, change its phase, mess with the sub level
  • Change the audio height
  • Mess with the status light and touch control settings
  • Quite a few other settings of this calibre

For sure, it’s a lot more control than I’d prefer someone like a random AirBnB guest to have over the system, so I will have to remove Sonos services from the guest network, and invest in some Ultimate Ears Bluetooth speakers instead.  I am glad I checked this before I outfitted each room with speakers.

It’s definitely not designed or intended for the use you’re attempting to apply to it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The only way I can think of is to use a voice assistant, this would restrict users to control audio playback only.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Lets say you didn’t have the Arc, you just had a TV using speakers in TV, or maybe a TV with a separate non Sonos soundbar. Could the guest(s) change the settings for the picture (contrast/brightness/hue/etc) , rename the inputs, and sound on the TV with the TV remote or soundbar remote? I think this is the same?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You can run Sonos from the Spotify App without being able to adjust any settings.

Badge

Thanks for all the input!  I like the Arc setup for the home theater, and it is clear to me now that Sonos is not intended as a music streaming destination by un-trusted people, such as in an AirBnB.

So, I will keep the Sonos Arc setup that I have because it’s pretty good, and I have just listed on eBay the Sonos speakers I have in the main rooms of my house.  Cut my losses and move on.  They will be replaced with with ‘dumb’ speakers, I think ultimate ears has some kinda cheapies (well, cheap compared to Sonos!) that just work.