Having Sonos Issues? It May Be Your Router

• 3 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7

This post is not intended to insinuate that you will need to purchase more 3rd party equipment in order to enjoy your Sonos. It is meant to provide insight just the same as your doctor might provide insight on how to live a healthier life style. In doing so your doctor may make recommendations and suggest how to recognize symptoms that require a health-course correction/change. Please read this with an open mind. Let’s begin…

The first step to having a worry free Sonos setup is a well-functioning network. If you purchased a basic router seven (7) years ago you should strongly consider replacing it with newer technology. Experts recommend replacing your router every five (5) years. Click the link for more information and signs to look for that suggest a router should be replaced.

https://www.tachus.com/post/5-signs-you-need-a-new-router#:~:text=But%20over%20time%2C%20even%20the,devices%20and%20smart%20home%20devices.

I typically purchase more router than I need to future proof my network...and…yes they can be expensive. 😊 The upside is that I can forgo the 5-year rule. In truth routers that boast Wi-Fi 6E and 7 are overkill for most; unless you own devices that can actually utilize the advanced features and Wi-Fi through-put. 

By way of explanation here’s how you can tell which Wi-Fi level of router you currently own:

• 802.11a = Wi-Fi 1
  • 802.11b = Wi-Fi 2
  • 802.11g = Wi-Fi 3
  • 802.11n = Wi-Fi 4
  • 802.11ac = Wi-Fi 5
  • 802.11ax = Wi-Fi 6
  • Wi-Fi 6E *
  • Wi-Fi 7  * 

Each succeeding Wi-Fi standard is backwards compatible to all previous standards. The link below outlines supported Wi-Fi modes and security standards for Sonos products:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products#

IMO a decent router today (for most) will be listed as Tri-Band Wi-Fi 5 or 6 with bands 2.4Ghz x 1 and 5Ghz x 2. Those routers can typically handle 30 - 40 clients simultaneously. 

If you are using equipment (router and modem) provided by your ISP upgrading can be problematic or not an option. I personally always provide my own router and only use the ISP’s modem. 

IMO ISP’s only provide equipment that is geared toward single-connection devices (which most handle quite well) and not those that require synchronization with other and/or like devices. That said I’ll segue to the heart of this post.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that just because your cell phone and other Wi-Fi devices have no connection issues that the same should be true of Sonos. Your cell phone and most other Wi-Fi devices in your household are single connection devices meaning there is no synchronization with another device in order for them to function. 

Oops….Let me backup a bit. If you only have one (1) Sonos speaker simplistically that would be a single connection device as well.  But…what if you add a second Sonos speaker…as long as you are only sending audio to one speaker at a time you most likely will have no issues. 

To advance this a step further let’s assume you have two Fives in the same room and you make them a stereo pair. Now your network is communicating with two speakers simultaneously. 

Sonos now has the job using your network to sync the music stream between both Fives and separate that stream into left and right channels. To your ear the music sounds as it should as if the speakers were wired to an amp. BTW…did I mention that in keeping everything in sync you are actually hearing everything at a 75ms delay…that’s Sonos working its magic over your network.

Now we’ll muddy the waters even more…let’s add an Era 100 in the kitchen and an Arc home theater setup with sub and Era 300’s as surrounds in the living room. Let’s send that same music stream via Grouping to the Five’s, kitchen and living room. Guess what…they’re all playing in sync. All of that synchronization is being performed across your network. The linchpin is your router

The Sonos synchronization process doesn’t stop when the music ends. Sonos, speakers even in low power mode are in constant communication with your network. All Sonos speakers stand ready to play music and group quickly to play in sync across your household using your network; supported by your router. 

Sonos allows you to enjoy your home theater in the living room to watch a movie while someone else listens to jazz on the Five’s and another person listens to REO Speedwagon in the kitchen. Guess what….all of that Sonos magic is occurring across your network. 

The point I’m making here is that Sonos is a very demanding network user versus your cell phone and other Wi-Fi devices that require less. To put this into perspective I run thirty-two (32) Sonos devices on my Wi-Fi Mesh network without a Sonos Boost; nor a Sonos component wired to my router via ethernet to create the SonosNet. **  

My network consists of three (3) Tri-Band Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET 12’s over 3 levels wired together via Ethernet to create what is called a “wired backhaul.” FYI, most mesh networks use tri-band hardware and function over a Wireless backhaul using an available 5Ghz band. Some of the more expensive Mesh setups use a 6Ghz band.

I shared this information with you to provide insight as to how Sonos works across your network. As I mentioned Sonos is very demanding and, in some instances, places a strain on your network. However, rather than crash your network the Sonos components will studder and/or drop off. Therefore, having the proper network hardware is essential. That typically flows back to your router’s capabilities. 

Don’t’ run to the store to purchase a new router (assuming you own it). There are plenty of other probable causes that can affect your Sonos enjoyment. You may already have a capable router so be diligent and keep it updated with the latest firmware. The members in this community can offer a plethora of solutions….your router may just be one of them.

* 802.11 prefix is eliminated from packaging for consumer simplicity

** SonosNet is a hidden 2.4Ghz band that only Sonos products can connect to in order to ease the strain on your home network. Before routers incorporated advanced processors to make them faster and more reliable the SonosNet was a requirement in the beginning. Sonos even developed the Bridge which was replaced by the Boost. Both products are now discontinued in favor of more capable routers that now occupy the consumer market. However, the SonosNet can still be created by wiring certain non-portable Sonos products to your router. Products such as the Era series are home Wi-Fi only and do not support the SonosNet.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d also suggest the option of getting a plain router, no WiFi and a WiFi access point (AP) which is what I have.

A bit more difficult to configure in most cases but it allows you to have the router where it is convenient and the AP where it will provide the best WiFi coverage. Mine are 25 feet apart and in different rooms, router where my Ethernet runs come together and the AP centrally located.

Adding additional APs for better coverage in a mesh or wired setup is often pretty simple.

An additional plus is you can replace either the router or the AP when either becomes a bit dated.