Answered

Google Drive for Desktop and Sonos

• 15 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Google is transitioning Google Drive Backup and Sync users to the new Google Drive for Desktop. I went ahead and made this change, but now I can’t connect Sonos to my music library. I get an error 1002 when attempting to connect to my music folder in the new drive that was mapped when I installed Google Drive for Desktop. Also, I have enabled offline access for this folder. Everything worked fine prior to the switch to the new Google Drive for Desktop.

• Does any have suggestions for how I can connect Sonos Desktop (for PC) Controller to the G:\Google Drive\Music Library folder?
  • Will there be an update to the Sonos Controller to address this issue?

P.S. I contacted Sonos support by phone. They directed me to this article, but otherwise were friendly and unable to advise a solution.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 July 2021, 01:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Is this actually stored on your own hard drive, and not in the cloud on some Google Server? Sonos has always been unable to reach “cloud” disks, so setting it up as your music library in the Sonos application would provide a failure, I’d expect. 

So far, Sonos has never said that they intend to support things like Microsoft’s OneDrive, or other similar cloud services, but since they never share their roadmap, it’s hard to tell what they intend to do until the point at which they release it (or if you’re part of a beta test, in which case you are not allowed to discuss it). 

Given the history, I’d suggest the chances of Sonos supporting such a thing as fairly low, in the single digit percentages. But not zero, either. The challenge for them would be of course that if they support any one of these, they’d likely have to go back and support all the other ones, which could require a huge amount of effort, for very little sales impact, which is where Sonos makes the majority of their money. 

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I’m still learning how this new version works. The file is definitely in the cloud, but in this case I also selected that it could be accessible offline which I was hoping would be enough to get Sonos to recognize the files. I can always find a workaround (copying to NAS, moving to a folder on my device, etc.), but I thought I’d exhaust this possibility first.

I think your assessment of Sonos development plans is fair and makes sense, especially given the move towards streaming music services that are being much more widely adopted.

Seth

I heard a rumor once that suggested that the number of Sonos users (which includes me!) that use “local” music is in the low single digit percentages….so I fear there’s unlikely to be much development on that front. Somehow, I’m still loathe to spend the money on a streaming service, although I do have some Amazon streaming as part of my Prime subscription. Unfortunately, much of what I listen to is likely not on many streaming services (fairly obscure Celtic music). But I’ve also not really investigated it. My NAS continues to work without issue, and I actually have 99% of the CDs stored in case they need to be re-ripped.