Fast switching between Home Theatre (Beam, 2x Ones, Sub) and Music (2x Ones, Sub) modes?

• 28 August 2022
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

Listening to music on the Beam/Ones/Sub setup is not great. I really enjoy the HT experience, but even when setting the “Surround Audio > Music Playback” to “Full” it’s just not as good as the 2.1 setup of Ones as left & right plus the sub.

However switching between the two modes requires breaking the HT config, creating a stereo paring, and, then breaking that go back to HT -- but even worse it loses the True Play which has a huge impact in our room (a combined kitchen / living space).

It’s frustrating, and I am looking at other non-Sonos options for music listing in the same space, just so as to leave the Sonos HT config alone.

Does anyone know how things are going on the Sonos software features side that could allow for this?

Have they announced anything? Is there at least beta testing underway?

6 replies

Nothing has been announced.

And if there was a beta going on, no one would be able to discuss it. 

That being said, it’s been a request since the original Home Theater systems were introduced in 2013, and so far, there has been zero movement on it. I certainly wouldn’t be holding my breath. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi all,

It’s frustrating, and I am looking at other non-Sonos options for music listing in the same space, just so as to leave the Sonos HT config alone.

If you like the Sonos sound, why not add a pair of One’s for music rather than go another supplier? Just call them Room2 or whatever and listen to music through them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d go with more Sonos, either two Ones and a Sub or a pair of Fives.

Some of the rumored new Sonos might work too, If they exist and are released soon. 

As @Stanley_4  points out, it would be completely illogical to buy additional non-Sonos rather than additional Sonos.  This type of empty threat just looks silly.

I doubt very much that this process could be speeded up, although it might be possible to automate it a bit, to save the button clicks.  This is not just a rearrangement of speskers.  They need to be reconfigured to operate in a different way, and that is what takes the time (although not that much).  The gain from automating (but not speeding up) the process would be marginal, and any resource invested by Sonos might result in fewer sales.

Personally, i’ll be surprised if this ever happens.