Answered

Downgrade Sonos Port from S2 to S1

I have just unwrapped a new Sonos Port and tried to downgrade it from S2 to S1 in order to incorporate it into my system which contains some devices which can’t be upgraded from S1.

I can’t see the downgrade option in the Sonos app and the Sonos website indicates that v80 of the app does not support downgrading. 

Are there any other options that I can take to downgrade the Port or should I send it back and get a refund?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 11 May 2024, 02:43

View original

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Any chance you have an older device that hasn’t updated to the new app?

If so then:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-to-s1

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have just unwrapped a new Sonos Port and tried to downgrade it from S2 to S1 in order to incorporate it into my system which contains some devices which can’t be upgraded from S1.

I can’t see the downgrade option in the Sonos app and the Sonos website indicates that v80 of the app does not support downgrading. 

Are there any other options that I can take to downgrade the Port or should I send it back and get a refund?

Send it back. And let them know it’s because of their crappy app. 

Thank you Stanley. I’ve got some older devices which can’t be upgraded to the new app. I therefore need to have all my devices on S1.

I had  tried to downgrade the Port to S1, following the instructions at the link you sent. However in these instructions it says “Sonos app version 80.0
The ability to downgrade a Sonos product to S1 is temporarily unavailable, but will return in a future update.”

I’m not sure how long this feature will be unavailable for and whether there is another way of downgrading the Port.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sigh.

I have seen posts here on using an app cache service to pick up the v16 app but I have no idea how it will work or how trustworthy  the site is,

Thank you Stanley. I spent an hour getting the Kuhn to customer service yesterday who said that the future to downgrade to S1 will return in a future version of the app but they couldn’t give me a timescale. So the shiny new Port will have to stay in its box for an indeterminate amount of time until that day 😂 Customer service at its best.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thank you Stanley. I spent an hour getting the Kuhn to customer service yesterday who said that the future to downgrade to S1 will return in a future version of the app but they couldn’t give me a timescale. So the shiny new Port will have to stay in its box for an indeterminate amount of time until that day 😂 Customer service at its best.

Here are some steps to downgrade a Sonos product from S2 to S1 which is a bit of a pain but I managed to pull it off:

1. Reset the Sonos product
  2. Download the Sonos S2 app for iOS or Android
  3. Open the app
  4. Select More options when prompted to set up or join a system
  5. Select Downgrade product to S1
  6. Follow the instructions to downgrade the product's software 

Do not follow the direction SONOS has posted as they do not work and also I ended up resetting the S2 App in order to get the above steps to work.

Here are some steps to downgrade a Sonos product from S2 to S1

I have never left S1; I stopped buying Sonos hardware after the S1/S2 forking, so I don’t know this in detail, but there are new Sonos products that cannot be moved back to S1 from the time they were released.

Also, I don't know if Port is in that category, but if it is, the said Port will never be able to go back to S1.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Here are some steps to downgrade a Sonos product from S2 to S1

I have never left S1; I stopped buying Sonos hardware after the S1/S2 forking, so I don’t know this in detail, but there are new Sonos products that cannot be moved back to S1 from the time they were released.

Also, I don't know if Port is in that category, but if it is, the said Port will never be able to go back to S1.

https://support.sonos.com/en-nz/article/sonos-app-version-compatibility

So then might not the OP do a factory reset of the Port and add it to the S1 app? Failing that, return it for a refund, get a new one and add it to the S1 app?

It is symptomatic of Sonos stupidity that new brave new app has caused such actions to be required at the user end, assuming that they work.

A week ago, reverting to S1 was easily done for the Port. Even that has been hamstrung now.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

So then might not the OP do a factory reset of the Port and add it to the S1 app? Failing that, return it for a refund, get a new one and add it to the S1 app?

It is symptomatic of Sonos stupidity that new brave new app has caused such actions to be required at the user end, assuming that they work.

A week ago, reverting to S1 was easily done for the Port. Even that has been hamstrung now.

Yes that is all he needs to do is factory reset it and roll back the firmware to S1 in the S2 app, NOT the S1 app like the SONOS instructions tell you to do. I just did this yesterday on my 2 Connect S2’s and it worked just fine. He just needs to follow my steps I posted above.

Yes that is all he needs to do is factory reset it and roll back the firmware to S1 in the S2 app, NOT the S1 app like the SONOS instructions tell you to do. I just did this yesterday on my 2 Connect S2’s and it worked just fine. He just needs to follow my steps I posted above.

Sadly the new version of the Sonos S2 App (v80) has taken the roll back option away 😢

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Sadly the new version of the Sonos S2 App (v80) has taken the roll back option away 😢

APKmirror is your friend and everyone else's. Check your PMs. Anyone else that can not find it or are in need of help PM me. I am not a real SONOS engineer but I played one on TV. 🤓

Having the exact same issue here.  Looked for Sonos S2 app, does not appear to be available, just an app called Sonos now.  Effectively, now I have a Sonos Port paperweight.  Any ideas on how to downgrade to S1 so it can be used?  Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

(deleted)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

"These products can function in either the Sonos S1 Controller app or the latest version of the Sonos app."

Amp

Beam (Gen 1)

Boost

Connect (Gen 2)

Connect:Amp (Gen 2)

Move

One (Gen 1)

One (Gen 2)

Play:1

Play:3

Play:5 (Gen 2)

Playbar

Playbase

Port

Sub (Gen 1)

Sub (Gen 2)

SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 1)

SYMFONISK Table lamp (Gen 1)

Userlevel 1

APKmirror is your friend and everyone else's. Check your PMs. Anyone else that can not find it or are in need of help PM me. I am not a real SONOS engineer but I played one on TV. 🤓

The problem is that the downgrade process to S1 in the 16.1 app also checks if there is a new app version, which there is (i.e. the v80). And it says you need to upgrade the app to that version before you can downgrade your device. And that version v80 doesn’t have the downgrade option. So you are stuck !! 😣

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The problem is that the downgrade process to S1 in the 16.1 app also checks if there is a new app version, which there is (i.e. the v80). And it says you need to upgrade the app to that version before you can downgrade your device. And that version v80 doesn’t have the downgrade option. So you are stuck !! 😣

Yes, you would want to turn off “App-auto updates” in the Google Play Store before beginning any of this process and you might need to turn off your internet access if the side loaded 16.1 is trying to go out to Sonos for an update and stopping you from this step in the process of rolling back but I doubt it as I just tested this this very moment after installing the 16.1 version (sideloaded) and it did not try to update my app and I took screenshots of the entire process which I have attached below with comments under each screenshot to make it simple, but since all my gear is on S1 it did not find anything to rollback so I could not actually show you it doing the rollback to S1. Again, I just tried this today 5/15/2024 7:00am EST and it worked just fine.

So step number one is turn off of “Auto-update apps”. If your S2 app was already updated to 80.0 uninstall it then side load the 16.1 version of the S2 app then factory reset the device or devices you want or need to upgrade to S1. After you are done upgrading your system to S1 you can uninstall the sideloaded S2 app and turn back on Auto-update of apps. Google Play has “Auto-update apps” a bit hidden so I have attached a screenshot of where to find it in Google Play store “Setting” under “Network preferences”:

First screen that will show up after sideloading 16.1 and opening it, click “More options”

2nd screen that will show up after “More Options”. Click “Downgrade Product to S1”

3rd screen that will show up after “Downgrade Product to S1”. Click “Continue”
4th screen that will show up after “Continue”. Click “Continue”
5th screen that will show up after “Continue”. Click “Continue”
6th screen that will show after “Continue”. Click “While using the app”
It will then search for you Sonos unit to install S1 firmware
I have already upgraded all my units to S1 so it found nothing.

If you get stuck at this point try unplugging all but one device. The device does not need to be connected via network cable. Just plugging into power and should have the green LED blinking if I remember correctly as it has been a week since I did mine and I am very old. On my first unit it did pop up and say it failed to install S1 but it actually did work just fine. It will also tell you it needs to connect to the WiFi of the Sonos unit to do the S1 transfer and will show you what the Sonos WiFi looks like. On my first unit I had to manual connect to that Sonos WiFi signal on my phone to install S1 but on my second unit it automatically connected to the Sonos WiFi signal for me and install the S1 onto it and when finish said it was successful. Sorry I did not take screenshots of when I did the actual downgrade last week to fill in after the steps I have shown you above. I also will not be trying to go back to S2 now as it looks like they are forcing firmware updates to systems that are on 80.1 so if you have already updated to 80.1 I think you are S.O.L.  😪

Or, you should just have stayed on S1 in 2020😀.

I remember Sonos devotees saying then that the S1/S2 thing was something Sonos was forced to do after 15 plus years, and in going to S2 there was no need to fear that such a dislocation would occur again in a shorter arriving future.

Famous last words that I am glad I did not take in.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Or, you should just have stayed on S1 in 2020😀.

I remember Sonos devotees saying then that the S1/S2 thing was something Sonos was forced to do after 15 plus years, and in going to S2 there was no need to fear that such a dislocation would occur again in a shorter arriving future.

Famous last words that I am glad I did not take in.

You are 100% right! In hindsight I wish I would have stayed on S1! All the time I wasted chatting with Sonos support and sending them my log files because my Sonos Connects would drop out one at a time but yet signal was excellent between them and they would say the same thing… reboot them… yeah rebooting them fixed it for a day or two… plus I had not had to reboot them before the poor S2 downgrade! And then there were my missing playlists from my S2 Android app that they said had to be a problem with my phone even though the playlists worked fine on the desktop app and if I forced closed the S2 app they would actually sometimes come back! Also the S2 app was so slow and when I woke my phone it would not connect to my system instantly to mute or pause music to take a call or talk to someone… S2 took a long time to connect and was just plain slow and painful!  🤦🏼

A whole week now back on S1 and guess what!!! not dropouts, playlists always show on my phone each and every time I want to play them and same as the desktop app, when I wake my phone from sleep the S1 app show instantly what is playing and allows control of the system... oh and did I mention I can run the S1 app on my old iPad mini!! Couldn't do that with the S2 app! 

Yeah I was a sucker! I believed Sonos when they said “S2 is the best thing since sliced bread” and I suffered for 4 long years hoping it would improve. NOT

So happy to be back on S1 which is what I used for the entire existence of Sonos as a company except for the past 4 wasted years of my Sonos life. 🤣

In hindsight I wish I would have stayed on S1! 

A whole week now back on S1 and guess what!!! not dropouts, playlists always show on my phone each and every time I want to play them and same as the desktop app, when I wake my phone from sleep the S1 app show instantly what is playing and allows control of the system

I have enjoyed this experience from 2011 to 2024!

There are two reasons why I could resist the S2 Kool-Aid in 2020. One, I had finished adding music players to all parts of my home and had no real interest in buying more Sonos hardware. So, S2 had no meaning to me to compel me buy the latest Sonos hardware that would run only on S2.

Second, I am at an age that sees the S1 app for what it is - a remote control. I have no craving for frequently changing eye candy in my remote/app, so the touted charms of S2 had no appeal.

There is also a third reason - I grew out of audiophile behaviour before turning to Sonos, but that hobby conferred on me the ability to see audio maker Kool-aid for what it is: Marketing Kool-Aid.

There is another benefit of remaining in the quiet S1 backwaters and being of no interest to Sonos. 

I am seeing some threads referring to EULA that posit that Sonos may be taking control of your Sonos kit via the new courageous app. Even if they are doing this via a new EULA, this is still a heist. 

Stay on S1, present version; don’t even update within S1 and I don’t see that Sonos can then steal your speakers from you by taking control of them via the new app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

All update privileges for Sonos have been locked down! 🤓 I only recommended Sonos to one of my friends.. ok… I only have one friend 😜… and I feel sorry for him as he has Sonos at all 4 of his home locations and he uses an iPhone.. but I think he will be ok as he only listens to Spotify so he should be able to just use the Spotify app for most of his day to day operations.  😎

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The other GREAT thing about S1 vs S2… NO MORE ADs!!! I hated the popup ads on S2. I would go to my tablet to skip a song or adjust the volume or group rooms and there would be a GIANT AD “Listen to Holiday music for that festival mood!” or “The latest Sonos Product model CR7#5#%3*2AP is here!” “Come spend your money on it! Click here!” 

Not seeing that crap anymore!  Oh the joy! 😁🤘🏼

Badge +2

I have now tried with your exact steps but it is now impossible to revert back to S1. Everything in your screenshots works just until after you have selected the device to downgrade to S1, it needs to check if it is the latest version. I have tried blocking Internet access etc but it will not pass if it can’t check and will not pass since it is not the latest version.

I guess you made the downgrade in the exact right time.

What happens if you factory reset the unit and have it be discovered by the S1 app?