Question

double DAC conversion while using 'analog in' and 'analog out' in Connect

• 12 October 2016
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

I was under the impression that later Connects (after about 2011) may no longer be bit-perfect if you use the volume control.
The issue was that even without the volume control -- in Fixed Volume -- later CONNECTs were found to be not bit-perfect if normalisation tags were present. (Clearly with volume adjustment the device isn't bit-transparent anyway.)
I was under the impression that later Connects (after about 2011) may no longer be bit-perfect if you use the volume control.
The issue was that even without the volume control -- in Fixed Volume -- later CONNECTs were found to be not bit-perfect if normalisation tags were present. (Clearly with volume adjustment the device isn't bit-transparent anyway.)

Thanks for clarifying.

So, however old the OP's connect is, he's not going to get bit-perfect output if he uses the Sonos volume control. Doesn't really change the comment about using a pre-amp, then.
So, however old the OP's connect is, he's not going to get bit-perfect output if he uses the Sonos volume control.
The issue of bit-perfectness is irrelevant anyway, since the OP wants to go analog-in and analog-out. Bit-transparency only relates to digital output, derived from digital content delivered via the network (and conceivably via PLAYBAR's optical input).
So, however old the OP's connect is, he's not going to get bit-perfect output if he uses the Sonos volume control.
The issue of bit-perfectness is irrelevant anyway, since the OP wants to go analog-in and analog-out. Bit-transparency only relates to digital output, derived from digital content delivered via the network (and conceivably via PLAYBAR's optical input).

My mistake - I assumed that the only reason that the OP was going to buy such an expensive CD player was that they cared about quality - otherwise, they could buy any player if it was just for convenience. The proposal is that the OP uses a pre-amp, in which case why wouldn't they use a digital connection?
The proposal is that the OP uses a pre-amp, in which case why wouldn't they use a digital connection?
Because HiFi pre-amps conventionally don't have digital inputs. That's what an outboard DAC does. And in any case the CONNECT doesn't have a digital input, only PLAYBAR does. I'm not sure where all this is leading....