Dolby Atmos (PC, LG CX, Sonos Arc) Keeps Disappearing and Changing to Stereo

• 8 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Hey gang,

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot this problem and just can’t figure it out. 

I have a PC with a 3090 connected to an LG CX (passthrough, bitstream, eArc, etc.) and the TV connects to the Arc. Upon booting the machine (fresh) I have Dolby Atmos automatically enabled and usable. I can watch content in Atmos, play games, all good. 

The moment the system senses a signal that isn’t Atmos it switches to Linear PCM stereo (expected behavior). The problem is once this happens all traces of Atmos disappear from my PC. It will not see the system as Atmos capable. All options of atmos are removed from the system, dolby access app can’t recognize the Arc as Atmos capable, nothing at all.

That is until I restart the PC. Once I do that everything is back to normal (atmos on by default, all dolby formats supported, so on.)

I’ve noticed it’s some form of communication problem as even with everything enabled as Atmos if I turn off the Arc or change settings on the TV (without changing anything else) that prevent them talking to each other we revert back to the “stereo only set up” problem described above forcing a restart to get Atmos back.

Has anyone encountered this? I’m at a total loss after days and days of triaging this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What’s a 3090? A sound card?

@106rallye an Nvidia RTX 3090, sorry. It’s a graphics card capable of transmitting video and audio through HDMI 2.1

I love it. LOL! I’m able to do 4k 120 Frames per Second and have the full atmos set up at the same time. It’s amazing…when it’s not crapping out on me like I mentioned in the post. :(