Disable Wi-Fi, Reduced Latency?

• 14 November 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
We've always been able to disable Wi-Fi (thank you bsteiner), but since v9.2 we can now disable it via the app. I hope this means Sonos is now officially supporting wired setups. Sonos generally has a buffer of c 83ms yet Playbar-surround Play 3 same-room pairings ("Surround") , are at only c 30ms. The buffer is obviously to deal with packet loss/sequencing, and multi-room WiFi audio is likely to suffer more from that than would same-room peer-to-peer Surround connections. I would think that mutliroom wired audio would suffer even less packet problems, and could live with an even smaller buffer. Obviously this would only be the case if allunits were hard wired. Does anyone know whether Sonos has implemented code which can detect a fully-wired system and reduce all buffer sizes accordingly? This might seem like an arcane point but the advantage of such functionality would be that users could use Sonos speakers as TV Front Center and Left Center speakers without horrible lipsync problems. I would like to do that so that I can use by Play 3's for TV and for audio, rather than needing two separate sets of speakers. Yes, I know, I could use a Playbar/Playbase but we have a TV on a movable stand in the center of the room and P/P just don't work for us.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sonos has always supported wired setups. You're correct that buffering/latency is calculated to allow for wireless operation, whether it be the ~75ms latency of multi-hop 2.4GHz SonosNet or the ~30ms of a 5GHz home theatre cluster. Even in a full-wired setup though there'd still have to be some buffering, albeit potentially less than at present.

However go to sonos.com and remind yourself of the strap line: "The easy-to-use wireless home sound system". Since buffering would still be required in a partially wired setup where some members of the sync group might be wireless, it seems doubtful that Sonos would devote development effort to addressing a corner case of all-wired.
Badge +1
Hi, thanks for this Ratty. Sonos technical support emailed me March 2017 saying about disabling WiFi: "Officially we say that it is unsupported". That was what made me wonder if the appearance of that option in v9.2 marked a change in policy by them. I agree that all-wired is a minority setup. However, I do think their are other folk out there without Playbars/Playbases who'd like to use a pair of Play 3;s as both their music speakers and their tv speakers (and by that I mean Front Left and Front Right only). That could be done by wiring those two speakers to e.g. a Connect and reducing buffer size. Of course the system as a whole would need to increase the buffer size when running music (assuming a multi room setup). Failing that, allowing the new Sonos Amp to bond 5Ghz with Play 3 for FL and FR would be helpful.

Does anyone else out there think it would be nice to use the same two speakers for TV and Music?
Sonos technical support emailed me March 2017 saying about disabling WiFi: "Officially we say that it is unsupported".That was then. Now it's supported, with the user protected against accidental mishaps. For the most part this option will appeal to installers.

Failing that, allowing the new Sonos Amp to bond 5Ghz with Play 3 for FL and FR would be helpful.
That would be an unusual use of a device explicitly designed to drive passive speakers as FL/FR, with the same overall ~30ms latency as any other Sonos home theatre setup.