dead one's NOT JUST 1 Either

• 9 August 2021
  • 5 replies

After the most recent update, I have lost 4 one’s ( 2 are sl 2 reg latest version) Yes, I have been in contact with Sonos but the more that go down ( zero power ) the more I get scared to even plug anything in. I have probably 10K in Sonos devices. I have had an electrician even come out to make sure no surges and nothing wrong at the outlets. Within one month I lost 4. I have or had many products on this series of outlets but only the ones are affected. When you deal with support you get different ideas but I have tried everything to check and make sure all of my products are safe. Any ideas or any ways to fix the power issue? Yes, they are in process of replacing but its a pain in the a**

2 arcs

1 beam 

4 fives

4 subs gen 2

10 ones

3 amps

many in wall and in ceiling speakers + outdoor

4 bookshelfs, 2 lamps, 2 picture frames

so you can understand my fear from the list I have 

Any advice is greatly appreciated 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The best person to maybe have asked in this instance was surely the qualified electrician that you called out to check your home - He/She would have likely been able to recommend the best type of power surge protection products you require to address the needs of your Home devices.

Oh I did, I have surge protection at all outlets. was nothing to do with my house. Thats the most confusing part of this. Only after the last update this started happening. I wish it was just a one off but after the 4th went I haven't plug any Sonos one’s in. Everything else plays just fine.

As it’s two different models of speaker, it seems the common denominator appears to be your Home electrical supply, at least at this present moment in time. It’s not like there are dozens of reported similar issues in the main community here for those particular named Sonos products. 

So my personal suggestion would be to maybe consider a further call back to your qualified Electrician (the clear expert in this case) and see if they are able to use equipment to monitor things for you over a much longer period of time and if any issues are discovered, to then provide you with the best remedy.

I’m not sure anyone could suggest anything better than a qualified electrician that has spent their time and used the necessary equipment to properly monitor the home power supply/outlets over an agreed period of time.

Ty Sir- thats what I have done and have a monitoring device for the entire house ( wiser energy ) by square D and the Hepd surge protection. Also had the electric company put a surge protector on the outside meter box. I don't play around when it comes to things of this nature. Toooooo many electronics in my house to risk. The wiser energy has been on since house was built but doesn't show anything of relevance in this case that could have happened. Appreciate your time 

Some speculations:

Is there something common to all of these units, such as the same circuit? Are any large appliances on the circuit? It is possible that there is a fault in the large appliance that is killing the units. This fault, combined with a bad connection in the circuit, can lead to dangerous transients at the outlet. Admittedly, this is an edge case, but it would be tricky to diagnose. A quick walkthrough inspection would not pick-up this sort of multiple fault.

How old are the surge suppressors? Many surge suppressors will silently sacrifice themselves while protecting from a large transient, then be ineffective ever after. This is typically very difficult to diagnose because (depending on the technology) there will not be any obvious visible signs of distress.

How often are there lightning strikes in your area? There are some areas that I would classify as “lightning alley” and extreme protection is warranted. Other areas are tame and mild or no protection is fine. If you are in lightning alley, long wire runs will expose you. For example, if you have a long wire run to a pool house, even if the main house is well protected, a nearby strike could still introduce a transient in the pool house if it is not separately protected. If you are in lightning alley, you must protect your long network and phone wires. Make sure that your cable feed is protected. In my area the cable installers are usually too lazy to install a ground or the ground is improperly installed and this will expose you to transients that may not be snubbed by the power line protection.

If the power company agreed to install protection at the service entrance I suspect that you are in a lightning alley.