Answered

Connecting Roam to several systems.

• 26 April 2021
  • 4 replies

I recently bought the Sonos Roam and I'm loving it. I use it both at home, at work and I'm planning to bring it to my summerhouse. All of these three have different systems and I can't get it to work with two separate systems. It’s connected to the system that I have at home, but I can't get it to work without bluetooth when I'm at work. 

I’m wondering if there's a solution to this, can I connect it to two different systems and make it show up as a normal speaker in the sonos app?

icon

Best answer by Xander P 27 April 2021, 10:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @ovecarpner, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sonos speakers (Roam included), can only be registered to a single System at a time, so you won’t be able to take it to the new location and have it immediately jump on - what you would need to do to have it play in sync with other speakers in the new location, is perform a Factory Reset on the Roam, and then add it in to the system.

Hi @ovecarpner, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sonos speakers (Roam included), can only be registered to a single System at a time, so you won’t be able to take it to the new location and have it immediately jump on - what you would need to do to have it play in sync with other speakers in the new location, is perform a Factory Reset on the Roam, and then add it in to the system.

Thats what I did, just seems a bit too hard, as I'm moving it every day. Will there be a future update?

@ovecarpner  - I think there might be a way round this, although I am not totally confident about it.  (I think I did this myself about 10 years ago, but memory has gone a bit hazy.)

You would have to decide which system to keep, if playlists etc differ between the two. Let’s assume that you decide to keep Home 1 system.  The steps would be:

1. Change the WiFi SSID and password on Home 2 network to match those at Home 1.
  2. Factory reset all speakers in Home 2  (Edit: please see further post below)(
  3. Take one speaker from Home 1 and connect it to the WiFi at Home 2.  Call this the ‘seeding speaker’
  4. Add the factory reset speakers in Home 2 to the seeding speaker
  5. Take the seeding speaker back to Home 1, where it should still work as before.  (It may be best to factory reset it and re-add it though.)

The result of this should be that both your systems have the same WiFi details and, crucially, that they have the same Sonos Household ID.

When I did this I ran both homes’ Sonos in SonosNet mode, which took WiFi out of the equation.  This isn’t an option as far as the Move and Roam are concerned, but I am hoping that having identical WiFi credentials will get round this.

The concept of the household/system is so fundamental to Sonos’ design that there is no realistic prospect of Sonos making it possible for a speaker to flip between households without a factory reset.  My suggestion effectively means you only have one Sonos system across your two homes.

Whether you think my suggestion is worth trying is up to you.   I am not sure exactly what will happen to playlists, favourites etc if these get out of line between the two homes.

If you try it, please post back as to if it works!

Further thought - before you factory reset all those home 2 speakers, just power them off and make sure the ‘seeding speaker’ will connect and work in home 2.  Then only if it does, factory reset and add the original home 2 speakers one at a time.