Answered

Connecting Pro-Ject Juke Box 2 (debut carbon esprit sonos edition) turntable to Sonos

• 12 November 2019
  • 4 replies

I have just bought this and before I open the box I want to know if it has a built-in amp?  Depending on the answer how can I connect it directly to my PlayBar?  I also own a Play 5 but I want to maintain that on a different floor.  What additional accessories do I need?  I would like to avoid where possible buying additional hardware.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 12 November 2019, 15:28

Yes, The least expensive is to connect directly to the Play 5 and group all other speakers to it. No Port (or Connect) required.

Cheers!

Edit: The Port gives you the ability to connect (indirectly) to whichever speaker you like without involving the others via grouping. In this scenario you would not designate an autoplay speaker/room but select the room of choice each time. Just another option to consider.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi willhuddleston

Your mention of Pro-Ject Juke Box 2 (debut carbon esprit sonos edition) does not appear in the Sonos list of available Turntables. However, all Sonos TT shown on the Sonos site (and ordered through Sonos) do have a built-in pre-amp. So based upon the info you have provided I can’t give you a definite answer regarding your purchase.

Did not your retailer verify as to whether or not the TT you purchased has a built-in pre-amp? If you ask the question of your retailer and they provide bad information I would hope in Denmark consumer protection laws are good enough to warrant a return without liability.

Note: Pro-Ject is not a Sonos owned brand. Pro-Ject markets their TT to other retailers as well as manufacturing TT for Sonos per their specs.

Assuming your TT has a built-in Pre-amp see options below.  In all scenarios set the line-in to auto.

Playbar Connection

1. Requires Sonos Port and designate the Playbar as the Auto-Play speaker/room.

Play 5 Connection

1. Direct connection requires RCA to 3.5mm cable. RCA from TT to 3.5mm input of Play 5.
  2. Sonos Port and designate the Play 5 as the Auto-Play speaker/room and Group to Playbar
  3. Sonos Port and designate the Playbar as the Auto-Play speaker/room and Group to Play 5

I hope this helps.  Cheers!

The Juke Box S2 has a built-in preamp.

You cannot connect directly to the Playbar.  You could get a analog to optical ADC, but that would take up the one optical in on the Playbar and you could not connect a TV without a switch of some sort.  Your best bet is to get one of the discontinued Connects, or the new port.  That will give you the analog input needed.  

Thanks and would a cheaper alternative be to connect my pre-amp turntable directly to my Play 5 and keep my tv connected to my PlayBar.  Instead I purchase a Play 1 for the other room/floor and then designate/group them all together, allowing me to play my vinyl through all Sonos speakers or do I still need a connect/port?

Userlevel 7

Yes, The least expensive is to connect directly to the Play 5 and group all other speakers to it. No Port (or Connect) required.

Cheers!

Edit: The Port gives you the ability to connect (indirectly) to whichever speaker you like without involving the others via grouping. In this scenario you would not designate an autoplay speaker/room but select the room of choice each time. Just another option to consider.