Question

Connecting Outdoor System

• 9 January 2018
  • 2 replies

I have 4 outdoor speakers (passive) going to my Sonos ConnectAmp. Sounds great! I recently purchased the Polk Atrium Sub 10 to add some bass to the yard. The Sub has 4 wires L-,L+, R-, R+, and I only have a 14 gauge 2 wire running to the location of the sub. I understand I need to add another amp to power the sub, how would I wire this? What is a good amp to hook the sub to? how would I hook up the two subs together?
Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Tim Despo. Welcome to the community. We, as Sonos representatives, cannot give recommendations for third-party equipment but I thought a thread-bump might be helpful. Hopefully someone else will chime in once we create some more visibility for this. Thanks!
The Sub does not have amplification and needs to be wired as a passive speaker to the speaker terminals of the Connect Amp; with 4 speakers already driven by the amp, I doubt it has the grunt to do the lifting needed to drive the Sub in addition. Instead use a third party sub amp wired to the Polk at its output end and to the subwoofer output of the Connect Amp, that is line level, to the inputs of the sub amp. See a quote from a review that is line with this recommendation:
"I had my polk atrium sub hooked up to a sonos connect amp zp120 with the definitive 6500 speakers and the bass just wasn't enough so I ran a separate wire and hooked it up to the Dayton SA130 amp and holy crap. The bass is so loud it rattles my deck. Raised rating for 5 stars. The gain is just past 1/2 on it and sounds absolutely superb. The Dayton amp only has a single sub output so I hooked them up in parallel and the sound is smooth and fantastic. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants deep sound with their music and is able to run a second set of wires. Sounds just as good as my home theater system."