Answered

Connect Amp and Bose Free Space - Help!

• 21 May 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi Community, First time posting and thank you in advance for any help.

Just ran 14 gauge direct burial wire to a pair of Bose Free Space speakers and the connect amp. NO SOUND.

I could really use help in trying to figure out steps to trouble shoot this without pulling components significantly apart.

Also, is there a max run I can do with the 14 gauge wire? Could my connect amp be a dud?

Again, thanks for any advice.
icon

Best answer by Chonair 22 May 2018, 01:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Looking at the manual for the BOSE, the question I'd have is how long is the run of 14 guage? I'd think it would be good at least to 50 feet, but you haven't specified.

Have you tested the CONNECT:AMP with another pair of speakers? That might be a good first step. What's the source of music you're trying to play?

For those playing along at home, the manual for those BOSE states:

Compatibility
• Compatible with amplifiers or receivers rated 4 to 8 ohms
• 50W IEC continuous power-handling compatible with receivers and amplifiers rated
10-100W

And the manual also states:

Cord recommendations
Based on maximum frequency response deviation of ±0.5 dB
Gauge Length
18 18 (0.82 mm^2) 20 ft (6 m) maximum
16 (1.3 mm^2) 30 ft (9 m) maximum
14 (2.1 mm^2) 50 ft (15 m) maximum
12 (3.3 mm^2) 80 ft (24 m) maximum
Use direct-burial cable for outdoor installations
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Do you have sound if you hook a speaker directly to the Connect Amp?
Do you have sound if you connect a known good speaker at the speaker end location?
Are you sure you have the wire paies correctly connected to both Ampo and speakers?

You can do some simple testing, unhook your connect and speakers from your wire:
- Check each wire to the other three with an Ohmmeter, it should show open / infinite resistance.
- hook one wire to another at the speaker end (doesn't matter which two) and check the two at the Amp end, it should show near zero Ohms.
- Disconnect the two connected wires and connect the other two, do the same check.
First, are you seeing the Connect Amp playing music in the controller app? The app does not care or even know if speakers are connected to it, but on the other hand, if no music is seen playing in the amp, the speakers will always be silent.

If the music can be seen playing, is the volume slider in the controller moved to the centre position to start with? It may be on silent, all the way to the left.

If you are seeing music playing in the amp and the volume slider is in the centre, check that the speaker wires are correctly wired to the terminals at both ends. Even if the gauge needs to be 12, for a longer distance, 14 will still not be completely silent, but just a reduction in volume.

If none of the above work, it is time for more steps - temporarily wiring another speaker pair is one. And temporarily wiring another amp to the speakers is another, to isolate and locate the trouble.
To all who provided and answer, thanks very much for the help. I ended up taking the whole system apart and testing each component in stages. It now works and sounds awesome!

To those who purchase the Bose Free Space speakers, beware of the blue marrettes provided. When I was securing the connections at the speaker with electrical tape they slipped and caused the speaker wires to disconnect. Slippy little buggers.

Frankly, it wasn't all for worse. Double checking each part of the system has provided a sense of security.

Thanks.