Question

Ceiling mounted arc/center channel

• 16 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge

My home theater has a projector screen that comes out of the ceiling in the center of the room. There is no wall behind the screen. To date I have a sonos base on a bar cart that I can roll out if needed, but this isn’t working out well for me.

I’m looking to mount a center channel on the ceiling directly in front of where the projector comes down. The back of the arc ould be against a dead zone on the screen.

(1) Positionally, will the sound quality work with this sort of placement? The arc would likely be upside down.

(2) Will the speakers positioning cause noticeable vibration on the projector screen? It is weighted, but a strong breeze would move it.

(3) Will the mount kit work with a ceiling?

Is there a better alternative solution?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

1. Poorly. Left will be right, and right will be left. If you happen to be able to get Atmos content to the device, the normally upward firing speakers will be pointing at the floor. Additionally, none of the Sonos sound bars cab be used as only a center speaker, they all have front right, center and front left built in, and there’s no way to change that. 

2. Unlikely, but it would depend on the method of mounting. 

3. This is even worse. The mount kit affixed to the ceiling would have the speaker facing down, and not out towards the listener. 

I think Sonos really doesn’t match your needs. I’d encourage you to look at other opportunities.