Answered

Can a multi-room Sonos system connect to two different networks at different times?

• 10 November 2023
  • 2 replies

I have a multi-room Sonos system in my vacation house.  The current setup is that the
Sonos system is on the primary network for the house, which also has access to Lutron, Crestron, Nest, etc.  I do have a secondary network in the house for guests to use (separate name/separate password).  I would like to give guests access to Sonos, without access to the other systems.  Is it possible to set up Sonos to look at two different networks for a control signal (not at the same time, of course)?

icon

Best answer by ratty 10 November 2023, 18:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Is it possible to set up Sonos to look at two different networks for a control signal (not at the same time, of course)?

Not in the way you imply, which is that Sonos devices would somehow be on two IP subnets at once. 

Also, a guest network would typically employ client isolation so, as well as not being able to see your primary network, devices would be unable to see each other.

Sonos explicitly states that guest networks aren’t supported.

The best option could be to get a cheap tablet device for the use of the guests and lock it in ‘kiosk mode’, with access limited to the Sonos app. On iOS you can use Guided Access; on Android use app pinning.

Thanks for this answer.  I figured I was asking the impossible.