Answered

Beam with New Sonos Amp

• 16 February 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +2
Setup question. I have a living room TV with a Beam, Sub, and two play 1’s as surround.

I’m having two outside patio speakers installed Wednesday so we can listen to Music outside. I ordered the new Amp so I can use the outdoor speakers either for music or for the TV if a game is one inside.

Does that mean I should run the beam off the optical and the new amp off the HDMI Arc input?

I assume I’ll still be able to control the beam with my remote but sounds like I’ll only be able to control the Amp with my phone?

Thanks for your suggestions.
icon

Best answer by John B 17 February 2019, 10:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I suggest you just play TV through the Beam and group it with the Amp. For TV sound there will be a slight audio lag but that won't matter unless both sets of speakers are audible at the same time.

I'd be a bit surprised if your TV would output sound over HDMI and optical simultaneously but I could be wrong.
Badge +2
So in that case should I just buy the old connect amp and save some money? I can find a second hand one for a few hundred less
A Connect:Amp would do the job, but the extra power of the Amp might be useful for outdoor speakers. If it was just for listening to a match I would guess a C:A would be OK, but I'd be interested in others' views.
Regardless of AMP or CONNECT:AMP, Patio is just another room and this room can be Grouped with any other room(s). Personally, I would prefer AMP, but that’s the way that I am. CONNECT:AMP would also be appropriate. The HDMI connection makes sense only if AMP is connected directly to a TV that you are currently viewing.