Answered

Beam + Amp + 2x One SL .. cant connect all of them?

• 27 March 2021
  • 4 replies

I’ve upgraded my AMP system with a beam and 2 ONE SL to upgrade to surround sound for my TV setup. 

However after playing around with the App for hours, best I can do is adding the SL’s to either the Beam or the AMP as surround.

Although I wanted to add them all to the same room, instead of grouping them together I now have multiple rooms with the same name. Maybe I simply can’t find the right option within the App but I feel stuck. 

So my current setup with in the App is: Beam + 2 SL’s in surround mode, AMP in a system with the same room name. I want to have sound from all of them when turning on my TV, what do I do? :D

icon

Best answer by John B 27 March 2021, 12:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You can have the following combinations

1 The Beam as your front channels with the One SLs for the rears, and your Amp and passive speakers in a different Sonos ‘room’, i.e. not part of the surround setup

2 The Beam for the front channels, the Amp and passive speakers as surrounds, and the One SLs not as part of your surround setup

3 The Amp + passive speakers at the front, One SLs as surrounds and the Beam redundant.

You cannot use all your speakers in a surround setup.

Also, you need the speaker(s) that don’t fit into your surround system to have a different room name from the surround setup - having the same name only creates confusion.

You can group other speakers with your surround setup, but they won’t sync perfectly for TV sound (they will do so for music).

Thank you John, but overall that is sad news for me :( I’ve read somewhere that I can use this combined, I guess here on the sonos community, by making the sound bar a “phantom center speaker”. If I had known that I can not use my AMP as front speakers within my audio setup I would have gotten the Arc instead of the Beam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You must have remembered it wrong. The “phantom center” is what the Amp creates to make it seem like you have a center speaker when in fact the Amp only drives two speakers (hence "phantom’- it is not a real speaker).

Thank you John, but overall that is sad news for me :( I’ve read somewhere that I can use this combined, I guess here on the sonos community, by making the sound bar a “phantom center speaker”. If I had known that I can not use my AMP as front speakers within my audio setup I would have gotten the Arc instead of the Beam.

You can use the Amp as front speakers - see my option 3.  As @106rallye says, it still covers the three front channels, creating a ‘phantom’ centre.