ASUS RT-AX92U Wifi connection issues

• 30 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Documenting my experiences here in case others run into the same issues.

I upgraded my home wifi to a wifi6 mesh network using 3 ASUS RT-AX92U routers.
I have a existing sonos system consisting of a PlayBar, a Sub, two Ikea Symfonisk surround  speakers in a home theater setup. Then an additional Ikea Symfonisk speaker in a separate room.

At first installation of my routers I immediately upgraded to the latest firmware version, 3.0.0.4.386_41712

When I was finished with my wifi setup, using the sams SSID ad password. I saw in the Asus app that my speakers was connected but they would not play anything from the Sonos app. Not from Spotify, nor radio channels.
The TV sound worked in all speakers though.

I went through the wifi setup procedure in the Sonos app several times with no success.

Then I tried to connect my PlayBar with an ethernet cable. Then I could play music from both the Sonos app and the Spotify app.

I wasn’t completely satisfied with this setup because my standalone speaker speaker is in the other end of my house compared to my TV speakers, so there where some connection issues. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.

After some troubleshooting sessions with the Sonos support team, we ended up in a recommendation to factory reset my routers, and by that downgrade the router firmware. I wasn’t really satisfied with this proposal because running obsolete software in my routers isn’t a long term solution for me.

After doing the factory reset as proposed by the Asus support, by pressing the reset button for 40 sec, I was a bit surprised to find the firmware version still be 3.0.0.4.386_41712.

Anyway, I disconnected the ethernet cable from my PlayBar, and set up the same SSID an password again. And to my surprise, the speakers worked as expected. Without any further actions from my end.

Hope this helps someone :-)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The recommendation with Asus RT routers is to disable Airtime Fairness for Sonos to work successfully in ‘wireless’ (WiFi) mode.

By the way, I’ve never known a ‘factory reset’ to downgrade firmware, on anything. It clears settings and reinitialises.

The AirtimeFairness option was disabled by default, from the beginning. 

I seem to have the same problem, but I have some of my devices connected through ethernet (which show up fine), but the others on WiFi do not - do you really need to factory reset all the routers and reset up your entire mesh network again to ensure the Spotify iOS app finds the WiFi network? I am an even later firmware version (3.0.0.4.386_43084).

Or should I rather contact Spoitfy ? (I had already dibbled Airtime Fairness and QoS) with no luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Batch 

Here’s Asus’ own firmware update instructions:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000/

Included in them (and not just mentioned at the end) are steps to factory reset the device immediately after the update.

Some settings are presumably not transferrable to the new firmware, thus the storage where they are saved must be erased - which is what a factory reset amounts to. As I understand it not all settings are erased, however, and you may not need to set too much up again afterwards.

Thanks for all the advice - performed factory resets on all devices (I have 3) and recreated the AIMesh which wasn't too tricky.

The Sonos products were then able to find the network and connect.

Strangely though, my newest device (a “Move” portable speaker) I could not get to connect - despite resetting and being able to find the network, it would not connect - gave “incorrect password” message.

I tried changing the password, didn't work - eventually contacted Sonos, who were pretty good online. They eventually suggested using a different device, which seemed to be working but then also failed. In desperation, I then changed the SSID name of the WiFi and the password and entered the network manually in the Sonos App. Strangely this worked.

I can only think there is some caching / memory going in in the app or within IOS that caused the issue.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice - safe to say the Asus RT-AX92U does work with Sonos !!! (both old and new products and on the older Sonos S1 app !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Batch 

Glad to hear you got it fixed, and thanks for updating us!