Asus AIMesh ZenWiFi AC (CT8) and Sonos - Perfect Result

• 9 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 24 replies

Long time since I was on here….

Just reporting in that I caved in and bought the Asus AIMesh CT8 WiFi system last week.  Our house is a largeish 3-4 storey Georgian house with a lot of thick stone walls and I was getting flaky WiFi coverage through the house, lots of dead spots, and Sonos was driving me mad - in particular constantly getting the “Unable to connect to Sonos” message on my Android phone.

So the end result is that the Asus AIMesh CT8 system (I have two boxes, one the router, wired to the Netgear DM200 modem) the other a “node” using 5GHz backhaul to the router works very well and plays very nicely with Sonos.

WiFi coverage throughout the house (~400 sq m) is amazingly good.

Sonos works perfecty although for some reason I had great trouble getting one Connect:Amp reconnected - had to factory reset several times and add - eventually it worked.

I have not yet seen the dreaded “unable to connect” message - turning on BBC Radio 4 first thing in the morning just works (previously, it was a nightmare).

One learning point - I was almost giving up on the installation - things just kept falling over - until I discovered that there was a residual powerline adapter still trying to do its own WiFi and this was screwing everything up.  A bit of logical sleuthing uncovered the issue, I reset the powerline adaptor and bingo! Download 60MBPS, upload 18MBPS and WiFi throughout the house at 40MBPS.

I attach a matrix fyi and any comment.

Cheers

Dick

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @revdv.

Thank you for reaching out and I highly appreciate your taking time and effort for this very helpful post.

I agree that the conflict can be caused by the devices that are both broadcasting Wifi signals, and knowing which Wifi to connect is the best way to manage your Sonos system.

The information you provided will definitely help community members that might experience the same concern.

We certainly value all your feedback, and if you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

You are always welcome in the community, we’d be glad to help.

Cheers!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

UPDATE

It appears the Asus mesh system I bought is not fit for purpose.  When it works, it’s great.  But it constantly falls over and hangs.  Requires manually turning off and restarting pretty much every day.  Firmware not up to it, I guess. So I sent it back and replaced it with the Google Mesh wifi system - three-pack.  

That has now been operating flawlessly for 3 weeks, no glitching.  And all my previous Sonos woes have vanished (mostly due to removal of the clashing identical SSID from a powerline adapter, see first post).  Response from Sonos speakers / players is instantaneous right across the house.

Result!

Dick