Question

Arc + AMP with 4 in-ceiling speakers

• 2 February 2021
  • 1 reply

Helping to replace parents home theater set-up. The current HT set-up is 2 in-wall front speakers, 2 in-ceiling rear, velodyne sub, and Sonos Connect; all powered by a Denon receiver (no center channel).  Older parents complain they can not hear TV audio very well and requested a sound bar. 

The new set-up is going to be Arc + Sonos Sub and removing the Denon and Velodyne. I am wondering about the remaining 4 in-wall/ceiling speakers to incorporate as surrounds + full stereo in music mode. 

I can just wire up the rear speakers to the new Sonos Amp as surrounds but I hate “wasting” the 2 front speakers. If I wire both front and rear to the Amp as surrounds will this create an unpleasant listening experience for TV? I would think in full stereo music mode it would sound pretty good.

Any other options for using Arc + Sub with BOTH front and rear surrounds??

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Wiring all four speakers to the Amp would defeat the purpose of using rear surround speakers in a 5.1 surround set up. Audio that should be coming from behind you would be coming from the front too.

Have you considered getting another Amp for just the two front wall speakers? This would allow you to group these speakers with the Arc/Sub/Surrounds setup when playing music.