Question

Anyone recommend or have success with speaker selector switch on Sonos Amp?

• 20 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi Everyone, 

I’m building a house and will purchase 5 Sonos amps for 5 zones of music. On 4 of the amps, I will only have 2 speakers connected to each amp. 

HOWEVER, on the 5th amp, I would like to connect 2 speakers (downstairs patio) and 1 speaker (upstairs patio). But i may not want both patios playing at the same time. Therefore, I asked the home electrician to wire in in wall volume controls at each patio door so i could control turning off a patio if desired. However, the electrician says the wall volume controls are outdated and he hasnt heard of this. My second approach is now to look at a speaker selector switch. But I know I have to be careful with what i choose so I dont damage the amp.  Does anyone have any recommendations on a speaker selector switch or other solution to my problem?

Thank you 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @sw674954,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern.

I would like to share with you the Sonos amp features, limitations, and guidelines. The Sonos Amp works with traditional 8-ohm bookshelf speakers as well as pairs of 6 or 4-ohm speakers. You can add 4 speakers with the Sonos Amp.  Make sure the impedance rating of your speakers is 8 ohms. Any other impedance rating may cause the Amp to fault. We do not recommend wiring your speakers in series as it will result in poor sound quality. 

The Sonos Amp will only able to play one source of music at a time. If you're using four speakers and they are in different rooms, then all rooms will play the same music. Using a speaker selector switch is not recommended for it may or may not work with Sonos. Let’s see what Community members have any experience with this product with their Sonos they might share their inputs about it.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.