Question

Adding studio monitors to Sonos system via Connect

• 25 April 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi

My PC has two active studio monitors connected via an audio interface. Is is possible to add these speakers to my current Sonos system if I purchase an Sonos Connect of some sort? If I can, will the Connect need to be a Connect:Amp or would an Gen 2 Sonos Connect (without amp) work ok? I’m also reading about a 70 ms delay with the Connect. Would this mean that my monitors would be out of sync with the rest of my system if I’m streaming e.g. Spotify, or from my line in turntable through the house?

Thank you for any help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The ~70 ms delay is on analog input, and not any output. I’m taking that when you say ‘active’, you mean powered, in which case the no longer produced CONNECT, or its replacement the Port would get the music from your Sonos ecosystem to those speakers.

The turntable input would be delayed as it goes into the Sonos ecosystem by that ~70Ms in order for the signal to be digitalized and buffered, but at that point, all your Sonos and Sonos driven speakers would be in sync. 

Thanks Bruce, that’s reassuring.

Would you think I’d need a Connect: AMP or Connect, providing my PC is switched on to power the interface? I confess I’m wanting to go with the cheapest option. 

Cheers

Jo

If the monitors are active they contain amplifiers. You’d therefore need a Connect or Port.

What monitors are they? If you have to send the PC audio through the Connect/Port Line-In to get to them you’ll likely notice the 70ms delay. You’d be better off with monitors that are able to accept dual inputs continuously: one input from the PC, and one from the Connect/Port.

The speakers are M-Audio BX5 D3 ‘s. They have both TRS and XLR inputs. The XLRs are currently  connected to the audio interface. I don’t know if they can accept dual inputs continuously though. 

Since you have active speakers, a Sonos Port should do the job.

However, ratty’s caution about the delay on the input coming from the PC connection remains, which I also mentioned in my initial reply. Any analog input to a Sonos device incurs this delay. 

@Airgetlam indeed, the delay will remain to ensure the synchronisation with the other SONOS speakers; which I believe is the whole purpose to use this type of connection. If not, the direct PC to Active Speaker remains the best.