Answered

Adding Sonos 5 to existing Beam system

• 25 December 2020
  • 7 replies

So my fiance gave me a pair of Sonos 5 speakers for Christmas, thinking they would naturally pair with our existing Sonos setup (Beam, Sub, and two 1’s in Surround Mode).  The 5’s only show up as a Stereo Pair in a different room.  How can I link these speakers with my existing setup?  I’m trying to create the most basic of 5.1 systems.

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 December 2020, 18:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

There’s no way to add the Fives to your existing Beam ‘room’, as you already have Ones as surrounds. What you’re asking for is actually 7.1 which Sonos (unfortunately) doesn’t support. The Beam setup is already 5.1.

You can of course group the new ‘room’ containing the Five pair with the Beam ‘room’. Note however that, although the two ‘rooms’ will play in sync for music sources, TV sound will be fractionally delayed through the Fives.

Ok, so I have two rooms now setup.  One with the Beam/Sub/1’s and another with the 5’s in a stereo pairing.  In order to make a group, the App is telling me I need a minimum of 3 rooms.  Is it possible to create a virtual room with no speakers attached to it?  Or can you duplicate rooms with the same speakers attached?

You don’t need a minimum of 3 rooms. Just group the two as you wish, via the group icon on either the Now Playing screen or the System tab.

(You can’t save a named room group unless there are at least 3 rooms in the system, but that’s immaterial.)

Aha, figured it out.  Thanks!

Ugh, the delay between the two rooms that are grouped together is unintelligible.  Guess I’m going to have to return the 5’s.

As I told you, TV audio in grouped ‘rooms’ will be slightly delayed. This is for technical reasons, related to ensuring grouped playback works across the network without dropouts.

Grouped ‘rooms’ in the same physical space as the main home theatre player will therefore sound pretty awful for TV audio. If such ‘rooms’ are elsewhere this small time offset may not matter.

At the expense of lip sync with TV/Surround you can improve the Group sync with a TV show by adjusting the TV Dialog Sync.

Keep in mind that sound is rather pokey, traveling at about one foot per millisecond. Grouped music players will be synced within a millisecond or two, however, when players are distant from each other audio from the more distant player will arrive late.