Answered

Adding an Amp to the existing set up.

• 20 November 2022
  • 3 replies

I have a playbar connected to my Samsung tv using an optical cable, I have since paired a sup wirelessly to the playBar and I use the tv remote to control the volume of the playbar and sub. I have just added 2x architectural ceiling speakers to the same room and connected them to the amp. I went through the setup process but it kept kicking me out the app on my iOS device. I managed to get it visible on the app and manually grouped the amp to the already grouped playbar and sub. 
The issue I’m having is that the amp will leave the group if the tv is off for a period of time, so I go on the app and add it to the group again, secondly if I change the volume on using the tv remote it only controls the playbar and sub and does not alter the ceiling speakers.

I tried connecting the amp to the HDMI port but that made the playbar stop being controlled by the tv remote and didn’t seem to be any better.

is there a better way to connect all these components? The amp is located within a cabinet beside the tv, sub opposite side of the tv, tv above the fireplace with the playbar mounted above and the ceiling speakers are at the rear of the room. I’m just trying to achieve after initial set up to just be using the tv remote to control the volume of everything and not be on the app adjusting all the time if all possible.

icon

Best answer by buzz 20 November 2022, 08:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Let’s make sure that we are on the same page. A single SONOS player, two identical players “Bonded” as a stereo pair, or a PLAYBAR, SUB(s) and surround players or AMP (with passive speakers) when Bonded together as a surround setup, are known as a “Room”. Rooms can be “Grouped” to play the same music or TV audio.

While setting up your AMP for surrounds, you must first add the AMP to the system as a separate Room, then go to Settings → System → Products → [PLAYBAR Room] → Setup Surrounds and configure the AMP in surround mode.

After being configured as a surround amplifier, AMP will no longer appear as a separate Room.

You shouldn’t be grouping the Amp with the PLAYBAR, you should be adding it as ‘surrounds’. See the FAQ here.

Let’s make sure that we are on the same page. A single SONOS player, two identical players “Bonded” as a stereo pair, or a PLAYBAR, SUB(s) and surround players or AMP (with passive speakers) when Bonded together as a surround setup, are known as a “Room”. Rooms can be “Grouped” to play the same music or TV audio.

While setting up your AMP for surrounds, you must first add the AMP to the system as a separate Room, then go to Settings → System → Products → [PLAYBAR Room] → Setup Surrounds and configure the AMP in surround mode.

After being configured as a surround amplifier, AMP will no longer appear as a separate Room.

I thought I tried this at the beginning but it was asking me to add some play ones, I just tried it again and it now shows the amp which has totally fixed the issue. Much appreciated for your time!