Access points and static IP addresses

• 10 August 2023
  • 29 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

I’m always amazed at the tenacity of Apple users with respect to hanging on to their Apple networking.

I’m always amazed at the tenacity of Apple users with respect to hanging on to their Apple networking.

1. Because Apple kit works with idiots at the wheel.
  2. Because Apple doesn’t make new networking kit any more.

PS: there is nothing Apple about the networking itself, it is just 2.4/5 as all others, hub and spoke style.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Could others be amazed at the tenacity of Sonos users with respect to hanging on to their Sonos devices?

Could others be amazed at the tenacity of Sonos users with respect to hanging on to their Sonos devices?

Good question! In my case, Sonos is now used as dumb kit, with all the smarts/album art displays drawn from wired to line in Echo devices, using Spotify. The Sonos controller/Sonos net are used only when I want to play purchased or CD ripped music on the local NAS, either in one or in more than one grouped zones, a feature that is still useful now that all CD players are long gone and more than a thousand CDs sitting in boxes out of sight for some years now. 

Like the Apple TC, Sonos hardware is built to very high standards, it is clear. And so are Echo devices - not one failure since 2017. Modern mass manufacturing of electronic kit can now deliver excellent reliability, even when located in China/other such. And for peanuts, compared to what we used to pay for such kit in the past.