Answered

3.5mm line in v Airplay 2 with external ADC

• 17 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have a turntable and preamp that I have connected to a pair of play five gen 2’s via line in.

I am thinking of getting a Wiim Pro Plus streamer and connecting the turntable preamp to that, and then using the Wiim to Airplay to the Sonos Play Fives.

Benefits :

• I can Bluetooth from the wiim to headphones
  • I can move the turntable anywhere as I don't need the line in
  • I push the turntable ADC to the Wiim, which is (isn't/maybe/maybe not) “better” than the sonos play five gen 2
  • Airplay 2 at 16 44 is equal (or not?) to the line in ADC/DAC on the five 

Can anyone point to a reason why this may

1. Improve SQ
  2. Worsen SQ
  3. SQ will be the same - its the Vinyl that's the weak link ;)

spac3manG

Wiim ADC info

1. Enhanced ADC for Line Input: Utilizing the TI Burr-Brown Audio PCM1861 ADC, the WiiM Pro Plus achieves a remarkable up to 192kHz/32-bit digital output. Analog sources, from record players to MP3 players, are impeccably converted into digital format, resulting in an unparalleled clarity and a signal-to-noise ratio of 110 dB.

icon

Best answer by Glenn Nickols 17 December 2023, 23:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You may find that AirPlay2 casting from the WiiM to Sonos is lossy AAC 256kbs. It would be best to ask over at the WiiM forum.

Yes, the Wiim forum has confirmed its AAC at 256kbps, so lossy.

thanks for the direction, @ratty 

G

update : 

“the airplay client in the Wiim will send to other devices and deliver 44.1/16 ALAC it is not using low latency streaming but realtime. Just checked what mine does in this scenario and I can see that the datarate outputting over the network is equivalent to cd quality ALAC. But if your using ADC at higher than this then you are loosing quality as it will be downsampling from the capture source. But I would let it capture as high as you can to move filtering further above the audible range.”

so depending on network conditions 16/44.1 CD quality - which works for my use case afterall.