Answered

1 speaker, multiple rooms

• 7 September 2016
  • 9 replies

Hi.. It seems to move a speaker from room to room, it is a few buttons / change of room setups..etc

Wondering if anyone knows if Sonos is planning to (or has work arounds) for having 1 speaker in multiple rooms.
I get that if i'm trying to play different music in different rooms, a choice will have to be made for said speaker.. or maybe the option to play different music in those rooms is disabled..

But here is my scenario:
I have a play bar, and two play speakers. They are set up with my tv as the bar and surround stereo speakers. Great. Now since the play speakers are kinda small, and somewhat portable, I planned to have one of them easily unplugable, so we can bring it to another room when we want, and play music in that other room (without playing on all the rest of the speakers).
I'd like to do this easily.. not have to break up the home theater set up.. add it to another room.. then have to redo everything when i bring the speaker back.

Seems like i should be able to throw a speaker in two rooms..so it can be used as a portable one..
am i missing something, or is this not currently possible?
Thanks!
icon

Best answer by jgatie 7 September 2016, 21:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Welcome to the community! I'm afraid that feature isn't available but we have gotten the request before. I'll make sure to add your interest to it.

Thanks for asking!
It is not currently possible. You would have to do as described, un-bond from the Playbar, and reconfigure as a new Room. Then the reverse to re-bond with the Playbar.
Welcome to the community! I'm afraid that feature isn't available but we have gotten the request before. I'll make sure to add your interest to it.

Thanks for asking!

Thanks.. if it's a beta feature planned, i'd be up for beta testing it.
I would also like to second this request. I have the EXACT same setup (playbar and 2x play1's for a home theatre downstairs). I often take a single speaker with my upstairs if I'm doing work around the house. It's a pain in the butt to set it back up every time. I can't imagine it would be too hard to have profiles for each speaker stored or have it belong to multiple groups and switch it between.

If this comes to beta I also want on the list. Thanks!
What should happen in the Home Theater room if someone attempts to use the system while one of the rear speakers is in an alternate room?

Thanks for asking!

I would also be very interested in this feature. I bought the same setup (PlayBar + 2 x Play:1) and I wanted to have different bindings as saved room profiles. I found it very natural to have such a setup with Sonos, and for some reasons I was very confident that this feature is already implemented in the software! I hope it comes very soon 🙂
Every sonos user I spoke is asking this feature. Me too
Same here, I want this feature as well. I have two Play:1s which i use as stereo but there are times i would like to use one of them in the kitchen as a standalone speaker (as they are quite portable) without disturbing the original stereo set-up. Hope this feature is prioritized and released soon
Userlevel 1
Badge
I worked in this scenario for a couple months and decided there was enough value in purchasing additional Play1 speakers for the locations I kept moving between (Garage/Study). It is a good idea, but what about instead of having speakers configured for multiple locations individually, you have house profiles for your whole system. Something like saving your current house configuration, then rearranging your speakers and save as a second configuration. Maybe you would have a general "Daily Lifestyle" configuration saved. Then a different layout for "Parties" or "Weekends"? Each saved profile would just map an existing speaker name/config to the profile. The greater benefit would be that your Home Theater setup could exist in two profiles or configurations. The first could be as a 5.1 and the second as a 3.1 with the rear pair now renamed and configured for different locations (Patio Party?). Just move a couple speaker locations and switch controller profiles.
I think this would provide the same result with a bit more versatility.