Question

Playbar - with SUB or with 2xPlay 1s?

• 25 October 2017
  • 11 replies

I'm about to get a Playbar for the TV and alongside that my budget will stretch to either a SUB or 2 Play 1s (or Ones) plus stands to use as surrounds. System will be used as much for music as for TV in a room around 15ft square.

Any ideas as to which would be the best to go for? SUB or surrounds?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

For just TV, the Sub. It adds a lot more to the movie sound presence/effects than a play 1 pair in surround mode does.

But for music, it is not an easy call between Play bar + Sub or Play bar + play 1 pair, playing in Full mode.
My vote is sub
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
SUB
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Two Play 1's cost less than half of the Sub. So it seems if you get the Sub now, you should be able to add the 1's soon.
I think you'll notice the impact of a pair of 1's more than you will the Sub because you become more surrounded by music. Not all music will activate the Sub. That said, I love my Sub, my Playbar and my 1's. It would be so difficult to give up any of them once they're all in place.
SUB - it sounds amazing, far better than rears
The present pricing of the 1 units - USD 140 - is because of the One launch and suggests a clearance sale. If so, that makes the 1 pair a better buy at this time, before Sub.
Remember though if purchasing the old Play one's they don't support voice. And at this time you cannot pair a Play with a One. If that is not important to you then save some cash. If it is then pay the extra.... or a SUB 🙂
They do support voice, but need a Dot to do so. As do all Sonos speakers other than the One. And this may even be a good thing because a Dot kept at some distance from the music delivering speaker has a better mic response. As it also does in comparison to a music playing Echo.
Can't argue with that response, never thought of that but an upgradable solution to older tech
Here is another reason to not be tied to the One: front end units such as the Dot will be replaced by advanced units like the new video equipped Spot much faster by the much larger and more resource equipped Amazon, a benefit of scale that Sonos lacks.
I started off just before Christmas with just a Playbar, I then added a pair of play 1s and I was debating with myself weather or not I needed a sub or not ...... so when I was in PC world I listened to a Playbar alone and then with a sub and instantly I needed a sub . Once I'd got it all home and set it all up correctly it sounded absolutely amazing with a sub .... given the choice that you have having had both and being able to toggle the surrounds and sub on and off I definitely couldn't do without the sub .