Question

Buy Play 1 Now or Wait?

• 18 November 2016
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I would like to buy a couple of Play 1s to add to my existing system. While I know, the Play 1 has gone on sale around Black Friday before I can't help but wonder if they have been reduced because there is a new version being released. A Play 1 with a line out would work great with an Echo Dot. With Sonos working to enable the components to work with the Amazon Echo, I can't help but wonder if there is new hardware that is going to follow.

Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

The Play:1 is the second youngest unit in the line-up and the best seller. Given the Connect, Connect:Amp and Play:5 were about 5 years between upgrades, the Play:1 has a ways to go before version 2.0, IMHO. As to the Alexa integration, Sonos stated in the press release that the new implementation will work with all new and existing Sonos units. So you don't have to worry that the Play:1 will be left behind.
Only Sonos knows and they won't tell anyone, however based on previous model life cycles it's likely to be years before the play:1 will be replaced, so if you can get a bargain now I would do so.

Also the play:1 would need a line-in to work with an Echo right now, not a line-out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos normally does have holiday sales. I wouldn't be surprised for something like a discounted 2-pack of Play:1s or something.

I don't think the Play:1 would be in line to be replaced in the coming year.

The Play:3 is long in the tooth as well as the Connect and Connect:Amp. Even the Playbar is in need of a revamp due to changes in the industry (and the inability of TV manufacturers to follow a standard with their optical output).

My very uninformed prediction for the next year or so on any hardware changes would be:

A new Play:3 or discontinuation of - if new similar look as the gen:2 play:5
A new Connect with digital input
A new Connect:Amp with additional power (probably the least likely to happen)
A new Playbar Gen:2 with HDMI ARC and full support of all surround formats not just DD 5.1

As you can see Play:1 replacement isn't one I think would be a priority. I would still like to see a Play:1 battery pack for those wanting more portability.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Current Echo implementation using a Dot to input yes is what is currently required (like to a Play:5).

However, Sonos is working on implementation that will be full integration not requiring any physical cabling or input. Coming first half of 2017.
They've had the Two Room Starter Kit, a pair of Play:1s, at a nice discount the past couple of Christmas shopping seasons.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Right now I see the Play 1 discounted by $50.00 at a few stores which led to my question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Probably starting to see the beginning of Black Friday promotions. I don't think its related to an upcoming hardware change on Play:1. Of course we are all just guessing.

I think its late in the season now for any new hardware to drop unfortuantely. I wouldn't think anything new announcements will come until CES in January. I was hoping we would have something new for the holidays like last year.
New hardware is always proceeded by the infamous UL certification leak. If we haven't seen one by now, then these lower prices are just that, lower prices.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I also would like to purchase the Playbar but given the cost, I'm going to hold out hoping for a new version next year.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Just checked Amazon UK site, Play 1 twin pack 760 Pounds in black and 890 in white !! A Black Friday bargain eh?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Just checked Amazon UK site, Play 1 twin pack 760 Pounds in black and 890 in white !! A Black Friday bargain eh?

I see both white and black single speakers for £169? And if you are Amazon Prime free next day delivery. There are some unscrupulous sellers on Amazon (as with everywhere). Those are easy to avoid.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I see both white and black single speakers for £169? And if you are Amazon Prime free next day delivery. There are some unscrupulous sellers on Amazon (as with everywhere). Those are easy to avoid.

Yes, I see those prices as well, I just found the twin pack prices staggering!
Badge
Where are the Play:1's already $50 off?

That is going to be the holiday special. $50 off of a play:1. Sonos (or their facebook bot) accidentally posted it on FB on thursday, 11/10 (I have a screenshot). I just want to get a jump on them and get them ASAP -- looking to add 3 or 4 if I can get them for $50 off.
Badge
Update: just bought some. Thinking about one more.... hmmm..... I'll wait till morning and see if my father in law wants any more. I went through crutchfield since I had rewards!!! Yay for Tuesday (delivery)